Monday, June 4, 2018

New Morning - New Mercies

Daily Gratitude Year 6- Day 154: Today, I am grateful for new mercies every morning. 

On Friday, I left home early to travel to see my Mom. I knew it could be a long day ahead, but I didn't remember to grab my usual stash of bottled water and a snack from home before I left. 

I decided to stop at a gas station near my destination to grab a couple bottles of water and a snack. It was a stop that only took a few minutes and I debated skipping it, but something in the spirit said "stop". So, I pulled off the road and into the station.

I couldn't find a place to park at the gas station until someone pulled out... so I waited a few minutes more. I felt those moments of irritation, but they passed and I quickly made my purchase.

As I left the gas station, I came upon an accident minutes old. In fact, the traffic was still going around it as the helping professionals, police and fire trucks, were just coming on the scene. I was just minutes shy of being in that accident. Little delays had saved my day.

This is not the first time I have been very aware of inconveniences that take only minutes, but they change everything. We must talk or we will miss his hand. 


Great is his faithfulness; his mercies begin afresh each morning.-Lamentations 3:23

His mercies are new every morning. We don't always see them but they are there. On Friday, I was very, very aware of His hand that intervenes. I was reminded to listen to that still, soft urging that directs our paths, if we listen. 

Oh boy!  Earworm (your Earworm is the one who sings the songs that get stuck in your head for people new to daily gratitude) is singing. "Great Is Thy Faithfulness" is the hymn he is singing in my ear. It does echo the Lamentations scripture. I prefer contemporary over hymns, but some of the old hymns are rich with scriptures woven into their stanzas. I do appreciate them and Earworm loves to sing them. 

 "Ten Thousand Reasons" (Bless the Lord, Oh My Soul), which is a personal favorite of mine on any day of the week, is a modern song of His faithful mercies from our first breath until our last. Perhaps, I can redirect Earworm to that song before the day is done. 

His faithfulness is real. His mercy is served fresh daily. We have much to sing about on this new morning. 

Today, I am grateful for new mercies every morning. 




No comments:

Post a Comment