Friday, November 1, 2019

National Writing Month

Daily Gratitude Year 7-Day 305: Today, I am grateful for the celebration of National Writing Month.

It is no surprise that I love words and writing is something that makes my soul sing. My sister, April, was amazing with pencils and paint. She was a true artist. Words have always been my medium. Vocabulary building is like getting the big box of Crayola crayons with the sharpener built into the box. 

Not everyone loves to write, but I assure you that after we are gone, our children and grandchildren will not be looking at our Word Documents and Google Docs with affection. It will be when then they pick up our cookbooks, our Bibles and our journals with handwritten notes and thoughts that they will feel connected. They won't judge the penmanship. They will celebrate every discovery and memory recorded. 

This month, I challenge you to write down something everyday. A gratitude or a memory is a good place to start. What about hand writing some family recipes that are required at every family holiday. We definitely have those in our family. On the back of the card, note the story of how the recipe was born and any personal tweaks to please your family members. 

Write out your love story for your children. What holiday memories do you want to keep forever? What is the most special gift you ever received or the best Thanksgiving memories?

The job of scribe has been around probably as long as the written word has existed. The word scribble is related to scribe. What you write does not have to be perfectly written. Begin with a scribble and grow your skills. Don't let perfectionism keep you from protecting the stories that matter. 

For me, I type way faster than I write, but I try to use my handwriting, too. I like the perfection of my typewriter font (I have considered having my handwriting made into a font, but have never done it). I need to remember that imperfections are part of what makes this life more beautiful. 

It makes me think of one of my life verses about carrying the message to the next generation:

"And the Lord answered me: “Write the vision; make it plain on tablets, so he may run who reads it." -Habakkuk 2:2

Write it plain. Write it today. Make it easy to read. 

What story will you write today? 

Today, I am grateful for the celebration of National Writing Month.

No comments:

Post a Comment