Monday, December 4, 2017

Christmas Lights

Year 5-Day 338: Today...I am grateful for Christmas lights.

We live just a few miles from the "East Peoria Festival of Lights". It is really pretty amazing. it has made national news over the years. When the big wreath lights up over I-74, we know that the holidays are truly upon us. 


Have I remembered to be grateful for the little lights that create a big splash from November through the first of January?

We are white light people at our house, but we enjoy seeing how others decorate. From the most simple spotlights on red bowed wreaths to the over-the-top "Christmas Vacation" style of "more is more"... what's not to love about Christmas lights?

Some lament that it isn't cold enough to snow. I am not on that team, but I respect their opinions. I think we have the icy sparkle of lights every night, and that is enough. Like fallen stars, gently tucked into the tree limbs, there is comfort and joy in the sight. Yes, I love Christmas lights. 

After angels announced the birth of the Baby Jesus... a special star hung in the sky over the place where hope was born and waiting. 

In the days Jesus walked the earth, people did not understand that the sun was a star... they just knew that it lit up the earth. Isn't it perfect that a star would guide seekers and the curious to the Light of the World? 

Now after Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judea in the days of Herod the king, behold, wise men from the east came to Jerusalem, saying, “Where is he who has been born king of the Jews? For we saw his star when it rose and have come to worship him.” -Matthew 2:1-2  

A star led the Magi from afar. It filled them with wonder. 

Again Jesus spoke to them, saying, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” -John 8:12

In Him there is no darkness. How fitting that in these days leading up to the celebration of his birth... tiny sparkling lights prevent keep back the darkest winter nights? I think it is perfect. 

Today...I am grateful for Christmas lights.

No comments:

Post a Comment