Thursday, July 23, 2020

Family Reunions


Year 8-Day 205: Today, I am grateful for family reunions.

Family reunions are a way to reflect on the past, embrace the present and look to the future. My dear cousin Molly found this gem of a picture today and posted it. Thanks Molly! It is almost a complete family picture at that point in time. (Kathleen, Uncle Bob and Uncle Dick are missing.) I love this so much. 

My Great-Grandparents lived a long time. You can see them in the second row on the right. My Grandpa Bess (in all brown) was their only child. He certainly blessed them with grandchildren and great-grandchildren. I'm feeling a little old because I can identify everyone in the photograph... including Uncle Dave who is behind my Dad and Uncle Lee who is behind me holding a very unhappy Parrish. 

Someday, our kids will struggle to name all the family in this picture. Still, photographs like this remind us of the importance of gathering together. I know a good time was had by all. It was always good to gather together. This is family... as I remember it... growing up.

When we have been restricted from gathering for so long, this kind of photo is a reminder to not take any gathering for granted. 34 family members in this picture. 35 if you count Molly in the womb. The family has certainly grown since this picture. 
"
Cheerfully share your home with those who need a meal or a place to stay."
-1 Peter 4:9

These are the people who shared our homes, our meals and acted as our caregivers when Mom and Dad needed babysitters. We took care of each other. We shared many meals and overnight adventures. 

We really do start and end with family. It is good when family gathers... and someone takes a picture. 

Today, I am grateful for family reunions.

No comments:

Post a Comment