Sunday, November 29, 2020

Rest

Year 8-Day 334: Today, I’m grateful for rest.

I am not talking about just a nap or a good night's sleep. I mean the deep gift of being able to rest. Even in this season of staying home, many do not rest. Rest isn't just about the body, although the body is important. Rest happens in the soul. 

"Then Jesus said, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest." -Matthew 11:28

Who can resist the offer? He asks us to give him our burdens. He is strong. He asks us to trust Him so we can enjoy a calm and refreshing rest. Rest is such a sweet word.  

Here in the USA, we have "rest stops" on the highways. They are a welcome sight for weary travelers. They offer bathrooms, picnic tables and sometimes... vending machines with snacks. They are a place where we can stretch our legs, relieve our bladders and wake up a bit before continuing a long drive. I find it interesting that they are known as "rest stops". They could have had many different names or something more unique. "Rest" is important enough to have it in the name. 

Make the most of this season. It will swiftly pass. It always does. You might be home more this Christmas than ever before, but don't mistake being homebound for resting. It is good to be intentional.  

Today, I’m grateful for rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment