Saturday, August 14, 2021

Video Chats

 

Daily Gratitude Year 9- Day 225: Today, I am grateful for video chats.

Remember when it was science fiction to do a video phone call? Honestly, it wasn't that long ago. It was the stuff we saw on the original Star Trek. Here we are, in 2021, and many cell phones or tablets are equipped with video call abilities. It has been a true blessing in these odd, pandemic times.

Dad watched our phone bills closely. Very few calls were local. Long distance bills could be brutal. I can't imagine what it would have been like to be able to connect with my church camp friends throughout the school year with the tap of a button and chat for hours. We wrote letters.

in rural Illinois, we had a Clifton number. We could call Ashkum and Chebanse toll free, but Ashkum and Chebanse people could not call each other with out paying long distance fees. We had many numbers memorized. We knew phone etiquette. How times have changed!

Today, Mama Ina Mae was able to talk to family who were gathered back home. It was good for her soul and mine. She talked with Aunt Judy twice before we ended the call. They make me smile when they chat together. They talked every single day when raising the seven of us. They kept each other sane. Mama was able to talk to many of her siblings, their spouses, nieces, nephews and a few more we consider extended family. Seeing faces and hearing voices is priceless.

I am reminded of the prayers of the prophets and the Psalms of David. People have longed for God to make himself known in tangible ways since man's first breath. We were born for a relationship with God. He longs for intimacy with us, too. Do we trust our prayers make it to His throne? We are promised they do. And, when we are at a loss for words, the Holy Spirit is in tune with our thoughts and feelings.

"Hear my prayer, O Lord; give ear to my pleas for mercy! In your faithfulness answer me, in your righteousness! Enter not into judgment with your servant, for no one living is righteous before you. For the enemy has pursued my soul; he has crushed my life to the ground; he has made me sit in darkness like those long dead"- Psalm 143:1-3

Prayer is low tech and needs no WiFi. The scriptures say He knows the number of hairs on our heads. We are told we cannot see His face, because the glory of it would be too much. "I Can Only Imagine" is Earworm's song choice tonight.

How great is our God? The answer to that question remains to be seen. But until that day, I will enjoy the human experience of video chats with loved ones near and far.

Today, I am grateful for video chats.


No comments:

Post a Comment