Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Summer Salads and Fresh Dressings


































This is a favorite salad for our family.  It says "holiday"....or "special occasion". It goes out to families needing a meal when ill and even church potlucks.  It is one of those "Signature Smith/Lindgren" dishes that no event would be complete without.  Jennifer makes me laugh when she asks if I am going to leave the "extra dressing" or take it home.  It is such a sincere form of flattery. I always double the dressing recipe so we can enjoy it later in the week. :) 

The Orange Pecan Salad is so pretty...but the "Groovy Green Dressing" is the recipe that is always in demand. Tangy and sweet - it brings the salad to life. My Sister-in-Law Jennifer and I have talked about a family recipe cookbook.  I think it is a great idea...we have to start somewhere.  

The bowl in the photo has special meaning for me, as it was  a gift from my dear friend Sharon and a reminder of the gift of her presence in my world. It is another part of the story. We all have components that make the table special for a holiday or celebration meal.  What are yours?  The dishes, the recipes, the making of the meal together...or eating out. We all have tales to be told!  I left out that this recipe was given to me by my dear friend Brenda more than 20 years ago.  I have shared it so many times that I no longer feel guilty calling it my recipe - but in my heart- it will always be "Brenda's Orange Pecan Salad". 

Tackle a favorite recipe as a scrapbook page. I would love to see it!

Happy Fourth of July!
Valerie

1 comment:

  1. Yum, that looks soooo good! I may have to try it! Thanks for sharing! Have a wonderful 4th!

    ReplyDelete