Thursday, March 31, 2016

The Power in the Pause

Daily Gratitude Year 4-Day 91: Today, I am grateful for the power in the pause. 




"Practice the pause.  When in doubt, pause. When angry, pause. When tired, pause. When stressed, pause. When you pause, pray."- unknown 

What a great quote.  As a grammar girl...I love a semicolon...as it is a reminder to pause, think and look a little closer. Not a period.  This is a senior image of my niece. I found this wonderful quote to go with it.  As a senior in high school...not quite sure of what is ahead...it is a time to pause. 

As an archer, Kenzie knows the power of the pause.  When your target is in sight, but you wait to be confident your aim is sure. There is power in the pause. 

As a believer in Jesus, one of the most underestimated acts is the power of the pause...in prayer.  Addison Road sings a song called "What Do I know of Holy?" A favorite line for me is actually at the beginning of the song: 

I made You promises a thousand times
I tried to hear from Heaven
But I talked the whole time


I am so guilty of this!  I pray and talk the whole time.  How can He speak if I forget to wait?

"Those who wait upon the Lord will renew their strength." -Isaiah 40:31

Do I wait... or just blurt and run? What can possibly be so important that I forget to wait upon the mighty Maker of the Universe? In the "wait" is where he can penetrate my stubborn heart and clear my vision. There is power in the pause!

Prayer is not an act with the goal of completion.  Jesus never, ever taught that. We say the Lord's prayer...but it is a model...an example of the components of prayer. Prayer is not an incantation or a chant... but a conversation. Look at Nehemiah 1 for another model with similar components. (This is a post for another day...or this will be painfully long). 

"Thy Kingdom come...thy will be done." This is a great place for a pause. Do we really mean it?  Do we submit our hearts desires to him...and line them up with His heart.  Like members of a marching band, moving in perfect synchronization...do we sync our plans with His desires.  

He is sovereign. If that doesn't require a pause...a huge pause...I don't know what does. 

Jesus paused. 

" Now when Jesus heard this, he withdrew from there in a boat to a desolate place by himself."-Matthew 14:13

This scripture follows the news of the death of his cousin, John the Baptist, he paused.  He grieved. He prayed. I am sure offered gratitude for John's friendship, life, faith and commitment. He submitted to the will of the Father...when he could have raised him from the dead as he proved several times before his own resurrection from the grave.  Still, he waited. It was not yet time. 

On the night he was taken into custody, he paused for prayer in the Garden of Gethsemane.  The disciples slept. He prayed with fervor. 

And he said, “Abba, Father, all things are possible for you. Remove this cup from me. Yet not what I will, but what you will.” -Mark 14:36

Jesus... yes, Jesus...did not get the answer he hoped for, but in the pause...in the answer....even the "No"...he found strength and power to fulfill God's plan for his life. This moment is the mind blowing...heart opening...strength filling power of the pause.  

"Yet not what I will, but what you will."  
"Thy will be done." 
"Hallowed be your name." 

What do I know of holy? Not enough, but I am learning to pause.
 

These are the echoes of the power of the pause in our prayers and at our most difficult seasons.  

Today, I am grateful for the power in the pause. 

No comments:

Post a Comment