Monday, May 9, 2016

Wake, Pray & Slay


Gratitude Year 4-Day 129: Today, I am grateful we can wake, pray and slay. 

Wake. First things first.  To be fully awake for me means coffee in hand. I enjoy the "jammie" time before it is off to the shower to ready for the day.  A cup of java in a favorite mug are the perfect way to transition from the morning sleepiness into feeling fully ready to take the day. Yes, awake and ready.

As for me, I shall behold your face in righteousness; when I awake, I shall be satisfied with your likeness. Psalm 17:15

He satisfies like the first coup of coffee. Now, for the next step. 

Pray. This day is best covered in power. There is no power like prayer. Prayer is not a whisper to a distant deity who might be listening.  No, it is a morning conversation with the one I am confident holds this day and all that is ahead. It is an invocation and an invitation for us to take on the day together. Whatever may come...it is a partnership.  Partners have to communicate. Communication requires listening...not just talking. 

Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. -1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

Constant praise, communication and offering thanksgiving. This is a vital step for full life on any given day. 

And then...there are "dragons". Satan and his demons are still loose. I don't like it, but it is what the Bible says is true and I have seen the face of evil. It is creepy and gives you the bad kind of chills. Prayer is a weapon. Prayer is a comfort. Prayer pours on the power as we face the darkness that creeps into our days. We can't forget to pray before we slay. 


Slay.  Slay what? Slay the dragons. I found this great scripture but I had dig deeper for understanding. Isaiah spent a great deal of time reminding the people of Israel who God was. Who God is. And, who He will continue to be. They wrestled with the dragon of understanding through their limited human perspective and limited human strength. Listen to Isaiah's take on the trials of this day and the days ahead.


 Awake, awake, put on strength, arm of the Lordawake, as in days of old, the generations of long ago. Was it not you who cut Rahab in pieces, who pierced the dragon? Was it not you who dried up the sea, the waters of the great deep, who made the depths of the sea a way for the redeemed to pass over? Isaiah 51:9-10

Isaiah reminds them of God's response to man's poor choices and his curse upon the snake...the serpent...the reptile...in poetic terms...the dragon. The name Rahab means pride. (This is not a reference to Rahab, the prostitute, who helped Joshua's spies and would be in Jesus genealogy.) He cuts pride to pieces and pierces "the dragon". Satan is alive and well. Sin is a struggle...daily if we are honest...but we are not alone.  

How precious to me are your thoughts, O God! How vast is the sum of them! If I would count them, they are more than the sand.  I awake, and I am still with you. Oh that you would slay the wicked, O God!  men of blood, depart from me! -Psalm 139:17-19


Yes...He is still with me. And, He is with all who call upon His name. That is a happy thought!

Today, I am grateful we can wake, pray and slay. 




No comments:

Post a Comment