Wednesday, May 25, 2016

One Tongue


Gratitude Year 4-Day 146: Today, I am grateful that God only gave us one tongue.

There are few things that get us into more trouble than our words. They are just so slippery. They are fun, useful, wonderful...but they must be used responsibly. We live in a day of "instant" sending and receiving of words through emails and text messages.  

I am not  convinced that we have improved communication...not one iota!  I feel like messages are flying around with no tone of voice attached to clarify the meaning. We have auto correct to confuse the matters even more. 

Know this, my beloved brothers: let every person be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger; James 1:19

What a great reminder of how to live. Quick to hear.  Not just take in the message but hear what the sender is saying.  

Interesting note: SILENT and LISTEN contain the same letters.  We have to be silent to really listen. This is true in conversation as well as prayer.  Do we blurt our wants, wishes and desires out in more of a dump than a prayer, and expect God to be eagerly awaiting our "shopping list"? 

If we do, we have missed the high priority memo of what it means for God to be God. Loving and compassionate...but holy and sovereign.  My plans are not always the same as His ways. I am still learning ...it is a life long lesson...to let him BE God. Not that he need my permission in the scope of eternity, but he does need an invitation into my heart. 

He is the great I AM. 

Do we enter His gates with awe, adoration, humility, gratitude and worship... awaiting His input and guidance in our lives.  I do find my thoughts returning to the "the power in the pause". 

Two eyes...two ears...two hands...two feet...but one mouth and one tongue. (Also, one nose because scent can be equally wonderful and offensive, depending on the circumstance.) One tongue is enough. Lasso it...listen more... and live better. 

Today, I am grateful that God only gave us one tongue.

No comments:

Post a Comment