Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Favorite Things

Photo by: Wendy Williams Vastine 2016
Daily Gratitude Year 4- Day 236: Today, I am grateful for blue skies sprinkled with puffy, fluffy white clouds over fields of maturing grain...kids I adore and have loved since their birth...and old tractors. Yes...these are a few of my favorite things. 

Earworm is awake and singing "My Favorite Things" from "The Sound of Music".  "Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens..." 

When I look at this amazing shot - totally lifted in love and adoration from my friend, Wendy Williams Vastine, who sees beauty and moments through her lens and captures them both- I see reminders of the goodness in this day. It is rich! 

We can't buy blue skies. You can't make the the corn and beans grow, we can only care for them. We can't all see the beauty in an old tractor, but some do and put the effort into salvaging and restoring the "old girl" to her former glory. 

For the tractor people...I grew up with "green" (not red). We now run a lot of "yellow". But it is the "Old Massey-Ferguson that makes me smile and reminisce about my childhood on the farm. The Old Massey and the John Deere 3020 were more like friends. Beloved and well kept.  They never let age or inclement weather keep them from pulling their weight.  Small buy mighty little warriors were those tractors. The Farmall captured here, I am sure could tell many similar stories if tractors could talk. 

Some days, it is good to pause; lifting our hearts in gratitude for the gifts in this simple ordinary day is why I believe gratitude is life changing. 

This picture...if I could name it...would be "Roots, Wings & Favorite Things". These kids have some farm in their history (if I recall correctly Great Grandma). Grandpa Ron worked for John Deere. Dad at Caterpillar. And...a great adventure across the sea gave them wings, but also taught them the value and the joy of a sunny, cloud sprinkled sky. Yes, roots, wings and favorite things.  All the photo is missing is pumpkins! (Insert a laugh if you are from Morton or if you are not from Morton and find our pumpkin obsession amusing.)

"Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good, for his steadfast love endures forever." -Psalm 136:1

Cloudy days come and go, but the sun always returns. Crops thrive and crops fail...but we seem to have enough to eat. More than enough. Children grow up and thrive when sprinkled with love, discipline, encouragement and guidance. 

"For everything created by God is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving, for it is made holy by the word of God and prayer." -1 Timothy 4:4-5

Today, I am grateful for blue skies, old tractors, puffy clouds, maturing grain and treasured teens. These are a few of my favorite things. And...Earworm...who keeps me singing random tunes from every era. :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment