Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Steadfast and Straight Lines




Year 4-Day 41:Today, I am grateful for the "steadfast" and "straight lines" to follow. It helps clear and define our vision. 

Yesterday, I crossed a familiar Helen Keller quote.  She wrote often about "seeing" and "beauty". She wrote: "The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart." She always amazes me when I read of her spirit and her determination.  Her state of blindness was merely a circumstance in her life.  It did not define her. 

Paul had an infirmity...and although he accessed the Christ's power and healing was a part of his ministry...he was never healed of his own struggle.  Could it be that our struggles...when not allowed to define us...become the very thing that allow us to set our sights on a fixed point to follow. We be strong...not because it is easy, but because He is steadfast. 

Time for a definition and a promise. 


Steadfast: very devoted or loyal to a person, belief, or cause : not changing



The steadfast love of God endures all the day. -Psalm 52:1 

Yes, His steadfast love endures all day!  Sometimes, we feel lost or defined by our circumstances. That is NOT who He designed us to be. We need to keep our focus set and gaze fixed. He will not fail. We will reach our destination when we follow His directions. 

25 Let your eyes look directly forward, and your gaze be straight before you.  Ponder the path of your feet;  then all your ways will be sure. 
 -Proverbs 4:25-26

Ponder...like Pooh...one of my favorite things to do. "Ponder the path of your feet."  Yes, the expectation is that we think before we act.  To quote one of my favorite doctors...


“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...” - Dr. Seuss

Remember how the Word of God is living and active.  Here is something that jumped out today.  When we are to "go and make disciples" as directed in the great commission.  I so often focus on the "GO"...and feel guilty when I fail to go. My focus is often on "my responsibility" in that passage.  I do need the reminder. BUT, I forget the best part of the passage. Matthew 28:19-20 says:  

Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,  teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.

That last line is what makes the commission possible.  He is our vision. He is our focus. Our steadfast, unchanging, amazing destination. Until the end of the age!

Go...yes...but we don't go alone! 

Today, I am grateful for the "steadfast" and "straight lines" to follow. It helps clear and define our vision. 





No comments:

Post a Comment