Sunday, February 14, 2016

Written in the Rings




Year 4-Day 45: Today, I am grateful for evidence in nature that God writes our story. 

I saw this image and it took me back to grade school science.  Learning that the rings on the tree tell a story.  Biologist and study a learn a great deal about the age of the tree and even the conditions of each year represented by a ring. They can learn about climate and even bug infestations.  The study is called: Dendrochronology.

It is an old science. How old? 
The Greek botanist Theophrastus (ca. 371 – ca. 287 BC) first mentioned that the wood of trees has rings. In his Trattato della Pittura (Treatise on Painting), Leonardo da Vinci was the first person to mention that trees form rings annually.  He suggested that  the thickness of the ring is determined by the conditions under which the tree grew that year. Old science! The rings tell the story.

It is Valentine's day. Today, there is much talk of other kinds of "rings"... of love and love stories. Some will get engaged or exchange rings with vows in marriage today. Rings still tell a story today. My own antique engagement ring was a treasure from the moment it was placed on my finger. I loved knowing the ring had a love story before ours. Rings...on fingers or trees...they, still, tell stories. 

I love Francesca Battistelli's song "Write Your Story".  It recognizes Christ's lordship - and poses an invitation for Him to write his story on our hearts.  That is about the most heart-warming thing I can think of on this chilly day of celebrating love.  Here are some of the lyrics if you are unfamiliar. 

They say
You're the King of everything
The One who taught the wind to sing
The Source of the rhythm my heart keeps beating

They say
You can give the blind their sight
And You can bring the dead to life
You can be the hope my soul's been seekin'

I wanna tell You now that I believe it
I wanna tell You now that I believe it
I do, that You can make me new, oh

I'm an empty page
I'm an open book
Write Your story on my heart
Come on and make Your mark

Author of my hope
Maker of the stars
Let me be Your work of art
Won't You write Your story on my heart


I love it.  It has a great beat and rhythm, too. Check it out if you don't know it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBmDCDbmtpc 

Today...some will be sad...feeling unloved without someone to exchange chocolate, hearts and flowers.  Don't be discouraged. You are loved more than you can ever imagine and He is waiting to be the greatest love in your life.  He wants to write a new love story onto your heart.  A love story without an end. Forever...as love was meant to be. 

Today, I am grateful for evidence in nature that God writes our stories...and I am so grateful for the one he writes on my heart and yours. Happy Valentine's Day! 





No comments:

Post a Comment