Thursday, February 4, 2016

Language

















Year 4-Day 35: Today, I am grateful for language. I am grateful that we can go beyond our "native tongue" to discover new words that fit just right!  

I have been loving the blueletterbible.org for the easy access to Greek and Hebrew. Sometimes, returning to the original language adds so much more. It can clarify questions. His Word is alive and well...no matter the state of the world. 

Now, I have discovered a little cache of words (okay...a Pinterest post) with words I wish the English language had an equivalent. Today's is the first of several new word introductions. I'm like a kid in a candy store. Which to choose and try out first?

The word for today is: KOMOREBI (n) sunlight filtering through trees. 

Word origin: Japanese

Winter in the Midwest can be bleak. When the days start to get a little longer...hope becomes renewed. The sunlight filtering through trees is like a kiss from heaven. It holds a sense of magic as light dances wherever it chooses.. I makes me want to tip my face back to feel the warmth... and twirl. Sunlight filtering through trees is a powerful thing. 

How do we not have a word for such glory? Ah...the limitations of language.  It is why we must never forget to feel and see with our hearts. We can't lose touch with our "soul breath" or we may miss the best the Father has for us. In all things, give thanks, adoring praise and worshipful Thanksgiving...we experience more.   


Light filtering through the trees is a glimpse of glory with comfortable perfection.  Full blown glory is too much. It is magnificent splendor. Resplendent beauty. It leaves us in awe... as it should. 

Yes, unfiltered glory can be overwhelming and humans seem to find it scary. Just last Sunday, we read from Exodus 35:29-35 and Matthew 17:1-3:

"When Moses came down from Mount Sinai with the two tablets of the covenant law in his hands, he was not aware that his face was radiant because he had spoken with the Lord. 30 When Aaron and all the Israelites saw Moses, his face was radiant, and they were afraid to come near him." -Exodus 35:29-30

"When Moses finished speaking to them, he put a veil over his face."  -Exodus 35:33

And then to the New Testament:

"And after six days Jesus took with him Peter and James, and John his brother, and led them up a high mountain by themselves.  And he was transfigured before them, and his face shone like the sun, and his clothes became white as light.  Just then there appeared before them Moses and Elijah, talking with Jesus." -Matthew 17:1-3


"5 While he was still speaking, a bright cloud covered them, and a voice from the cloud said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased. Listen to him!”When the disciples heard this, they fell facedown to the ground, terrified." -Matthew 17:5-6

They were on holy ground. "He shone like the sun and his clothes became as white as light."  They were awestruck...with good reason. Then... Moses and Elijah appeared before them, too. What a crazy moment that must have been. I can only imagine. 

Still, I get a filtered glimpse of His glory often...when I stop and take the time to look at His wondrous creation.  The sun that fills the sky and filters through the trees...it is spectacular. The huge balls of light we know as stars that light the night sky are there for us to savor. We just need to slow down... and pay attention.   

Even the light shining though my car window when the temperatures are cold recharges my soul with it's warmth, it's soft glory and loveliness. 

Today, I am grateful for language. I am grateful that we can go beyond our "native tongue" to discover new words that fit just right! Today, I am grateful for "komorebi" and His glory. 

No comments:

Post a Comment