Thursday, June 22, 2017

Messages Clearly Sent and Received

Year 5 - Day 172: Today, I am grateful when messages clearly sent are clearly received.

"I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand." - John Wayne

This quote made me laugh out loud. My Dad and Mama were big... I mean huge... John Wayne fans. They knew the movies and could quote them. Even the less popular were kept on the shelf, in VHS format and watched often. 

John was handsome, bold and he got the job done in whatever role he played. He was not a big talker, so you had better listen when he spoke. His presence was commanding when he entered the screen, and I have heard that it translated into real life. A legend of the days of westerns and war movies,  he never disappointed. 

If only humans were capable of clear communications on a regular basis. Say what you mean and mean what you say, but there is also the ability of the receiver to understand the message in the mix. A radio message can be sent with a powerful signal, but there must be something or someone to receive the message.  

Deuteronomy 32 is what is known as "The Song of Moses". He has just commissioned Joshua to lead them across the Jordan River and into the promised land. Moses tells them to take the Book of the Law and put it by the side of the ark of the covenant. 

"For I know how rebellious and stubborn you are." -Deuteronomy 31:27

"The Song of Moses" draws a clear picture of God's relationship with the people, His faithfulness and their tendency to hear but not listen. Moses is giving his last lesson.. and he wants them to not just hear him, but listen. 

For they are a nation void of counsel, and there is no understanding in them." -Deuteronomy 32:28

A nation void of counsel. They hear what they want. They want what they want. There is no understanding in them. 

Again, I wonder... how often am I just like them? I hear what I want when I want what I want. 


I am grateful for the Song of Moses and all of the wisdom it contains. Note that Moses knew he would not enter the promised land with the people of Israel. God stayed true to the consequence Moses received over the rock he struck instead of tapping. Was that such a big deal? 

Yes, it was. Moses was amazing, but human, too. He and God had to on the same page as to who was really in charge. 

Moses temper got him in trouble more than once. I wonder if Moses thought perhaps God would change his mind as they came so close to a promise fulfilled? Or maybe, by that time Moses was content to pass on their leadership to someone else and join His Lord. 

When God speaks... we need to listen for clear understanding.

Making your ear attentive to wisdom and inclining your heart to understanding; yes, if you call out for insight and raise your voice  for understanding, if you seek it like silver and search for it as for hidden treasures, -Proverbs 2:2-4

Today, I am grateful when messages clearly sent are clearly received.





No comments:

Post a Comment