Thursday, February 1, 2018

Paper Calendars

Year 6-Day 32 :Today, I am grateful for paper calendars.

I know. I am a weirdo. In this digital age... and yes, I use the Google Calendar on my phone for the reminder alerts... it is still the paper calendar that helps me keep my schedule. I love a paper calendar. In fact, I like to have one close at hand, so I can peek at it with just a glance. 

For me, this is a little more serious. I truly think I have a bit of number dyslexia (for lack of a better word). I reverse numbers and dates and struggle with times. I always read numbers back to callers to insure that I haven't turned any digits around. The other weird thing is that I will hear a 7 and write 8. Hear a 5 and write 6. I know. Weird. Letters never get mixed up for me. Only numbers. I constantly check and recheck dates and times for fear of a mistake. Thus... the visual of a paper calendar really helps me keep my schedule... and they are CUTE. 

I savor the first day of the month to flip the calendar for a new piece of art. My Mary Engelbreit daily calendar is sweet for a daily smile from my favorite artist. This year, I am mixing it up with a weekly Leigh Standley "Curly Girl" datebook for something different. My calendar gives me art, heart and a fresh start to each new day.

The one thing I have tried to learn, is to leave a little room in that daily calendar for the unplanned "God appointments". Overscheduling is a beast of a task master and it leaves little time for love. Overscheduling can result in ignoring the Master's call. 

When Jesus called his disciples, some of them were busy business men. It is the ones who dropped their nets and followed who ended up in the chosen 12 who would walk with him daily. I fear, I would be more like the one who said, "let me take care of business at home first". After all, isn't it important to be responsible? 

"But Jesus replied, “Foxes have dens to live in, and birds have nests, but the Son of Man has no place even to lay his head.” He said to another person, “Come, follow me.” The man agreed, but he said, “Lord, first let me return home and bury my father.” But Jesus told him, “Let the spiritually dead bury their own dead! Your duty is to go and preach about the Kingdom of God"  -Luke 9:58-60

I do not think the message is to be careless in our duties at home, but to remember to love the one who calls us to his heart with a wild abandon. He needs to be our "First Love" and our "Last Love". All the love in between is made fuller and more beautiful in him. He needs to be first place in our hearts. That man missed the adventure of a lifetime... although he may have still found The Way. 
“Listen, O Israel! The Lord is our God, the Lord alone. And you must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your strength."-Deuteronomy 6:4-5


It doesn't sound that hard, right? But for me, and probably others... I have to leave room on the calendar. I need to leave space to chase his face... and some quite time to hear the Spirit's whispers. My paper calendar helps me remember to schedule in some breathing space... that often leads to unplanned adventures.  

Today, I am grateful for paper calendars.

No comments:

Post a Comment