Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Simple Measurements

Year 6-Day 45: Today, I am grateful for a simple measurements.

Math was not my favorite. I wasn't completely awful at it, but sometimes my numbers would get mixed up and the answers would be wrong. Now, fractions are kind of my sweet spot. Fractions were cooking and I understood cooking from an early age. 

Even to this day, the measurement conversions from ounces to cups come quickly. Of course... fractions used in cooking... are a math skill used often if not daily. To me, they are simple measurement. 

Today, is Valentine's Day. This cute little heart-shaped measuring spoons captured my eye, as they have cute little phrases on the handles. Humor, kindness, fun & happiness are all ingredients in love. 


Jesus gave us a new commandment as a measuring tool... and as evidence that we belong to him. It is a simple measuring tool... but simple does not mean it is always easy. Here is the scripture:

"A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another. By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”-John 13:34-35

Loving others is not a suggestion, but a commandment. Some days it comes naturally. Other days, we have to love more intentionally. The more we exercise it, the easier it comes. We can't change how others act toward us or treat us. We can choose how we respond to them. Sometimes, it is the pinch of kindness and the dash of humor that help stir up love and affection. 

Unlike some recipes where ingredient measurements need to be more exact, adding extra love never hurts. We cannot always please people, but Christ will not measure our love by how others respond. Love poured out and kindness sprinkled may not be appreciated or reciprocated... but it may soften a heart heart more than we know. 

Some sprinkle the seeds of love, some water... and others have the joy of watching it bloom. The commandment it to love others, not to be sure others love us. We are loved by a love that was willing to stretch out his arms across an old rugged cross and die in our place. Oh, how deeply we are loved. 

His love is profoundly deep and wide. He fills our love cups to overflowing so that they run over on others. "By this all people will know that you are my disciples... if your love one another."  

I am so grateful His math isn't hard. 

Today, I am grateful for a simple measurements.

No comments:

Post a Comment