Friday, September 6, 2019

Broken Crayons

Daily Gratitude Year 7-Day 249: Today, I am grateful broken crayons still color!

This resonated with me today. "Broken crayons still color."

In a world of HGTV, Martha Stewart magazine and photoshop fixes, we have a flawed concept of reality. Real life is messy. The crayons get broken. The plate shatters when dropped. The tomato plant wilts... although it still seem produce a fair number of cherry tomatoes. 

I remember a commercial where two children were fighting over the same crayon. Then, a wise adult broke it in half. A broken crayon mended the strife and both had what they felt they needed. I am a fan of taking turns and learning the life skill of sharing, but sometimes... breaking the crayon in half is the better option. Broken crayons still color. 

How many times do we feel that our lives are not what they should be? Or, what we hoped they would be. We wish away today's joys. We miss the sweet moments of this day because we long for something different. I, personally, think a sign of maturity come when one learns to be content in their circumstances. Pau expressed this in his letter to the Philippian church: 

I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want." -Philippians 4:10-11

When we learn the difference between want and need, our lives change. We can learn to be content. Broken crayons still color. 

We can give the areas of disappointment and brokenness to the Master Potter and let him reshape, recycle and repurpose us. Man did not invent recycling and redemption. Heaven did. 

Today, I am grateful broken crayons still color!

No comments:

Post a Comment