Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Don't Be Alarmed



Year 4-Day 27: Today, I am grateful for the alarms that keep my multi-tasking life running succinctly and for words of hope when life seems alarming. 

What would I do without my iPhone alarms?  I have one set for everything I have to remember. It keeps me on task and on schedule.  I guess when it comes to alarms, we have a choice.  We can see them as friends that help us and keep us safe - or we can let them evoke fear and terror.  

Tornado warning alarms may never be quite the same for our community after the Washington tornado of 11-17-14.  When you grow up in the flat lands of the Midwest, watching funnel clouds is practically a hobby.  If we live in terror, we are crippled.  If we are educated on where to go and what to do, we are empowered.  Our alarms are part of that process.  I admit, I am not quite as easy going about them as I used to be, but God didn't plant a spirit of fear in us. His breath is one of peace, calm and courage when the storm hits. The stories of God's hand of intervention were everywhere. Sometimes the storm is allowed, but never does he abandon His children. 

What does the Bible say about being "alarmed"?  

The Greek word is "throeo" :to cry aloud, make a noise by outcry
  1. in the New Testament, to trouble, frighten
  2. to be troubled in mind, to be frightened, alarmed

Interesting...when I did a search on "alarmed", it is frequently used with reference to prophecy. Daniel and King Belshazzar when Daniel interpreted his dreams. Daniel's interpretations happened as the prophecy was spoken. It is used, again, in the New Testament in reference to the 2nd coming of Christ in several places.  This one has a nearly matching verse in Matthew. Later books, as well.  

And when you hear of wars and rumors of wars, do not be alarmed. This must take place, but the end is not yet. -Mark 13:7

The consistent message of the Word is "Fear Not, for I am with you."  Some alarms help us stay on task.  A sense of alarm might steer us onto a safer path. Living in a state of alarm is crippling. 

We can be confident that we have a God who still speaks through his word, his people and his Holy Spirit.  We can live with gratitude for alarms that keep us on schedule and with respect for alarms and warnings that help us stay safe.  

Today, I am grateful for the alarms that keep my multi-tasking life running succinctly and for words of hope when life seems alarming. 

No comments:

Post a Comment