Friday, January 29, 2016

Written On The Palm of His Hand


Year 4-Day 29: Today, I am grateful for my sharpie marker and things written on the palm of His hand. 

I have a memory technique that rarely to never fails.  I learned it from a nursing friend, Sue Gaitros, during my St. Jude years.  When I really, truly, without fail need to remember something...I write it in Sharpie on my hand. It works every time!

I lose paper.  I fail to hear alarms on my phone if it is not with me (girls clothes don't always have pockets). I forget to read my post-it notes. I have never forgotten a thing written on my hand.  

I love a Sharpie...and they come in a brilliant array of colors. Something bold works best.  I have used this technique on forgetful students, and it works for them, too.  Some who refuse the offer once, rarely refuse it a second time when forgetfulness results in distress. I understand forgetfulness... or "Cloud Issues" as my friend, Diane refers to it.

Then, to make my day complete, this scripture landed in my lap. What an easy gratitude and a celebration.  

"...yet I will not forget you.
16 Behold, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands;
    your walls are continually before me." -Isaiah 49:15-16


It must be okay to write on our hands if God does it. Right?  Now, the word here is "engraved."  That is far more permanent than a Sharpie. Even better for us. He has engraved us into the palm of his hand.  What a promise!

I have always love Michaelangelo's Creation from the Sistine Chapel. Someday, I'd like to see it in person.  I have the portion where God reaches out with His hand and connects with Adam.  It is just the hands. Framed big and bold on my bedroom wall.  The power and the promise captured in the image is simple, yet so powerful. 

What a wonder it is that God desired to create a being that could choose him or refuse him! What a powerful thing that when we return to him with our brokenness...he sees the "beautiful-ugly"...and our potential! He writes our names in the Lamb's book of Life and in the "palm of his hand."  That should give us encouragement and hope for the end of the work week. 

Today, I am grateful for my sharpie marker and things written on the palm of His hand. 

No comments:

Post a Comment