Monday, June 13, 2016

Glowsticks

Daily Gratitude Year 4-Day 164: Today...I am grateful for a lesson from a glowstick. 

One of Mama's frequently spoken phrases was "you should learn something new every day." She must have had some great teachers, because even though school was hard for her at times, she really enjoyed it and worked hard. I love collecting new inspirational quotes because through their "quick lessons", we can learn something new every day. Here is a new one to me:

"It it okay to be a glowstick. Sometimes we have to break before we shine." -unknown
Now, one of the great joys in collecting wit and wisdom, is the moment the light goes on and I recognize a whisper of scripture in the quote. Then, I have to go digging for the passage. I am grateful for Bible search tools. 

This image...so far...has not brought any particular passage to mind, but a multitude of characters that met God in moments of brokenness. In the deepest pits of discouragement they met Him waiting for their call for help. Joseph, Moses, Gideon, Samson, Esther, Ruth David, Peter, Paul and so many more. Jesus is the ultimate example of broken and beautiful.

In desperate moments, they found courage with Him and in spite of their human weaknesses. They discovered that God could and would "strengthen their hands" (Nehemiah 6:9) if they came to him with open hearts and seeking a relationship...and not just seeking a "quick fix" and making a "quick exit" when the prayer is answered.  Nothing is too hard for Him...but relationship matters.

Oh...here comes the scripture...

"Three times I pleaded with the Lord about this, that it should leave me.But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.  For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong. -2 Corinthians 12:8-10 


What a fabulous passage. Paul is articulating that sometimes, answering our prayers for the quick fix would not further the cross of Christ. Sometimes...we are more useful, and I like to think even more beautiful...because we have been broken. 

Like the glowstick, sometimes...we have to "break" to shine.  Before we truly turn it over to Him, we have to submit and give up control. We have to pray "not my will, but Thy will". I can't think of any scriptures to support that he is "testing us"...that is Satan at work. He is present in our troubles, but not the source. Jesus didn't test his disciples...he called them. 

Our God is for us... and with us. He is present in the brokeness. He is waiting with the gorilla glue of his grace and the polishing cloth of his blood to wipe away the mess and make us whole. 

“My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” I just love that! Power up. Press on. And, glow!

Today...I am grateful for a lesson from a glowstick. 

No comments:

Post a Comment