Monday, November 21, 2016

10,000 Reasons



Daily Gratitude Year Four-Day 326: Today, I am grateful for the song, 10,000 Reasons. It still speaks to my soul. (Text my journal prompt #21: What song are you most grateful for?)
I can no more pick a favorite song than I could choose a favorite child (and I only have two). 
Music speaks to me. Different songs at different seasons of life. Music is the reflection of emotion... and it can even alter it.It can be the key, at times, that opens a heart. The right song can give hope, give strength and even foster healing. Music can do what words alone cannot. 

The song that continues to be key in the gratitude journey for me is 10,000 Reasons (Bless the Lord, Oh my soul). Discovering it was a favorite of Dad's makes it more special. He leaned over and told Mom one Sunday that "This is a farmer's song.". He was right. 
It has been my song: 
It was my song through a job change.
When Uncle Lee died.
When Dad died.
When Matt lost his dear friend Vaughn.
When Jill died.
When our Hanson branch of the family lost Jacob.
When the tornado hit.
When floods came.
When Jill's mom and Todd's dad, too. Both, dear pillars of faith. 

It has been my song as:
Mom's health declines.
Huntington's Disease creates challenges. 
Healthcare becomes more frustrating and expensive.
Seasons change. 

It continues to be a special song because:
It can still bring me to tears, but the tears are more grateful than sad.
It can lift my spirit.
It still seems to carry me by way of gratitude to the throne of His mercy and grace.
It is a song of a new day.
It is the song of each new morning until our last dawn.
It reminds me beautifully that death is not an end but a door. 

When 10,000 Reasons came on the radio, the morning of game seven of the World Series for the Cubs, I said, "Lord, is this a warning to get ready to "wait until next year". He whispered..."that song can be a song of celebration, too. Not just getting through the hard stuff." I said, "Oh... you are right.". Well, we all know how that turned out! 

What song speaks life into your life? Crowder's "Lift your head weary sinner" still is getting a great deal of "airtime" in Earworm's show inside my head. I'm not the only one with songs in their head, right? 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXDGE_lRI0E

Today, I am grateful for the song, 10,000 Reasons. It still speaks, lifts and restores my soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment