Wednesday, November 16, 2016

One Body




Daily Gratitude Year Four-Day 321: Today, I am grateful for one body.

(Text my journal prompt #16: What about your body are your most grateful for?)

My body? Really?  I am a woman. Are we ever really happy with our bodies? I am over 50 (by a smidgen). I need to lose weight. I manage chronic pain, numbness and limb weakness from an injury. My gene pool designed my family with "front butts" that only a couple of female Bess cousins escaped... in other words... flat tummies were never in our history, even when we are younger and thinner. I know... it makes me sound so glamorous, right? 

After that brief body image reflection... I sit here thinking that I should be ashamed of myself. I have a body. It is not perfect by any means, but it is mine and my responsibility. I need to be grateful for the parts that work and content with the things I can not change... and work on changing the things I can. 

I am grateful that I can move all of my limbs.
I am grateful that I have enough feeling to protect me from certain dangers. 

I am grateful I can walk... and talk (no comment My Love)... write, and sing and even dance a little.  
I am grateful that my family helps me.
I am grateful that I can work a full day. 
I am grateful I can taste wonderful things... like coffee & dark chocolate.
I am grateful I can answer a call for help. 
I am grateful for what I can lift and for those who help when I can't. 
I am grateful for eyes that can see color.
I am grateful for hands that can find ways to serve.
I am grateful for ears that can hear music.

I am grateful for a mind that can create, think and process. 
I am grateful for my soul breath... a gift from the Lord.  

Our bodies contain our spirits until our last earthly breath. They are a gift from the God, but what we do with them is our gift to him. 

My friend, Roxanne, shared this. She took the November Daily Gratitude challenge.  This image grabbed my heart. One body can make a difference.  And, when one body gathers with other "one body" people... they can change lives, households, communities, states and nations. One body at a time.

My favorite Sunday of the year is coming. Our congregation puts together Thanksgiving meal baskets for those in our community who are in need. Hunger happens everywhere. Thanksgiving is an expensive meal to make. We will prepare 80 baskets this year. 

Our congregation is blessed but not wealthy.  Some have tasted hard times, even this year. Still, we have abundant joy in the putting the Thanksgiving baskets together. It is children as young as 3 helping others reaching closer to 83 pack a basket. It is strapping young men doing the lifting. The multi-generational team with a mission delights my heart like nothing else. Everything about it is good. We serve as "one body" united in Christ.

 "And he answered them, “Whoever has two tunics is to share with him who has none, and whoever has food is to do likewise.” Luke 3:11 

These are actually the words of John the Baptist before he baptized Jesus and then this happened:

"And the Holy Spirit descended on him in bodily form, like a dove; and a voice came from heaven, “You are my beloved Son; with you I am well pleased. Luke 3:22

John the Baptist knew Jesus like few others. The way cousins know their cousins ( I am getting Thanksgiving giddy). He had watched his integrity from youth and knew who he was. Interesting that he didn't join the twelve... but his part in the gospel story is so huge. One body. Serving with his whole heart, until he was beheaded. A lonely mission? No. Crazy love. 

Whatever body we are in... we can make a difference as long as we chose to:
Love Him & Love our Neighbors (all of them) 

Today, I am grateful for one body.




No comments:

Post a Comment