Saturday, October 7, 2017

He's Coming

Daily Gratitude Year 5-Day 280: Today, I am grateful he's coming for me. 

This post has been brewing since yesterday. The image is from my dear friend, Amanda Zimmerman. Her son, Hayden, is waiting on Daddy to pick him up in the combine. For farm boys, it doesn't get any better than this. 

Amanda captured everything I love about fall and the harvest. The energy, the passion, the wait, the purpose, the commitment and the pure joy of nurturing dirt and seeds into the crops that will feed the nation and the world. Hayden simply longs to be with Daddy and like Daddy. 

My Grandpa Lindgren was humbled by the opportunity to work and care for the land and animals. He breathed that passion into his sons. This image could have been my little brother, Matthew,  40 years ago. More is grown than crops of corn and beans. Relationships are built. Learning is sought. Truths are taught.  Character is caught. 

This image spoke and said, "He's coming. He's coming for me!" 

Is this how we feel when we do the work of our heavenly Father? Whatever our work calling may be. What were Jesus instructions to Peter... and to us? 

The third time he said to him, “Simon son of John, do you love me?” Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, “Do you love me?” He said, “Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you.” Jesus said, “Feed my sheep." -John 17:21

There is work to be done today and tomorrow. The old hymn, "Work for the night is coming." comes to mind. There are people to feed, children to nurture, widows and sick who need care and aged ones who need our time, compassion and our help. 

Do we look toward the sky and smile because we know that in time, He's coming. Like the harvest, no one knows exactly when, but we know it is closer than it ever was before. 

Be patient, then, brothers and sisters, until the Lord’s coming. See how the farmer waits for the land to yield its valuable crop, patiently waiting for the autumn and spring rains. -James 5:6-7

Oh yes... He's coming. He's coming for me... and you. Hayden's excitement is contagious. 

Today, I am grateful He's coming for me. 




No comments:

Post a Comment