Thursday, October 19, 2017

Variety

Daily Gratitude Year 5-Day 292: Today, I am grateful for variety.

The old saying went like this, "Variety is the spice of life." 

This lovely image captures some of the variety to be found in pumpkins. Some are decorative and others delicious. Both add delightful variety to the season. 

Variety alleviates boredom. It helps us gain new perspectives and leads to new discoveries. Occasionally, a substitution... tried when inconveniently out of something...  in a recipe becomes the new favorite. 

Variety keeps us out of a rut and is good for the soul. 

Variety in my closet makes me hold on to pieces, perhaps longer than I should, but I love to switch it up... especially in the long winter days ahead. 


I love the variety of Bible translations available to us today, so that His word comes alive in a language we speak. It increases understanding and there are plenty of ways to explore original text and the culture of the day. I first memorized KJV and find it beautiful. I read with understanding with my first NIV. The ESV and NLT are my current favorites.  "The Message" often makes me smile. 

On the day of Pentecost, many spoke in a language they did not know and others heard what was spoken in their native tongue. 

Then, what looked like flames or tongues of fire appeared and settled on each of them. And everyone present was filled with the Holy Spirit and began speaking in other languages, as the Holy Spirit gave them this ability. At that time there were devout Jews from every nation living in Jerusalem.When they heard the loud noise, everyone came running, and they were bewildered to hear their own languages being spoken by the believers. -Acts 2:3-6 (NLT)
Reading Act 2 in "The Message" is a bit like reading it in the newspaper of today. Imagine such an event making the news. (Go to Biblegateway.com and read it for yourself.)
Verse 40, particularly struck a chord with me. Sometimes, I have to turn the television off. It sucks me in. It can impact my mood, thinking and beliefs. 
"He went on in this vein for a long time, urging them over and over, “Get out while you can; get out of this sick and stupid culture!” " -Acts 2:40 (The Message)
Now, look at the same verse in two other translations. 
And with many other words he bore witness and continued to exhort them, saying, “Save yourselves from this crooked generation.” Acts 2:40(ESV)
Then Peter continued preaching for a long time, strongly urging all his listeners, “Save yourselves from this crooked generation!” -Acts 2:40
Cross referencing is good for clarity. 
Peter told them over and over, preaching it, strongly urging and exhorting. The message was clear. They had to be changed and essentially remove themselves from letting culture and worldly wisdom be their Lord and their guide. The Holy Spirit had arrived in a powerful way to give them comfort, strength, protection and guidance. They would live in the world but be different. 
Variety adds spice... and clarity.  
Today, I am grateful for variety.


No comments:

Post a Comment