Sunday, December 31, 2023

The Past is the Past


 
Daily Gratitude Year Eleven-Day 365- Today, I am grateful the past is the past.

As eleven  years comes to a close, I cannot help but reflect on the past 4017 days of gratitude. I never intended to go this long. It was a 31 day challenge that turned into two... and here we are at the end of year eleven. 

Some of you have been walking with me for all of those days. I want to say "thank you" for many words of encouragement along the way over the past eleven years. I am always amazed that we find new things to be grateful for each year. Yes, we! We are partners in this journey.

This passage came up in my reading today. It seems the perfect one to end year eleven and begin year twelve. 

“Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the wilderness and streams in the wasteland. -Isaiah 43:18-19

I pray that our journey of intentional gratitude continues to increase your joy and soften your sorrows, as it does mine. You know one of my favorite verses is:

"Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep." -Romans 12:15 

Together, we are better.

I have never sat in a prison cell, as Paul and Peter often did, wondering if the day would bring death, another beating, or another chance to share the good news of the Gospel. I continue to be humbled by their courage and inspired by their resilience. I am grateful for the many letters they have left us to read and re-read as we seek to chase the heart of Jesus. 

Since tomorrow is January 1st, you might jot down the numbers 1-31 and keep your own gratitude journal for the first 31 days of 2024. One sentence... or even one word is enough. The practice of the pause and the pondering is pretty powerful. (Oh, alliteration makes my heart sing.)

2023 is history and 2024 is a mystery, even when you know "The Author of our Days." There is no "undo" button on this life. Choose wisely.

We choose. We make mistakes. We fail. We learn. We grow. We celebrate. And, we do better. 

Today, I am grateful the past is the past.




No comments:

Post a Comment