Friday, April 21, 2017

Mama's Birthday & Lilacs

Daily Gratitude Year 5- Day 111: Today, I am grateful for lilacs and Mama's birthday. 

The lilacs seem early this year. They are a favorite of mine. Only nature gets the scent right. Most lilac fragrances in soap or candles, are awful! 

Mama is just about as unique. Kind spirited and gentle, she is a tough act to follow. I grew up under the nurture of her infinite patience. She taught me to not be afraid to take on things like big meals... or big piano pieces. She was gracious with our legitimate limitations, but never tolerated "I can't." 

Yes, she is about as rare as they come. If people aim to get the best of her... they will. She offers grace in heaping portions. 

She has the rich history or knowing what it really means to be poor, and for her... enough means there is always some to share. She is the oldest child of first seven... and then ten. Caring for others was her calling and her sweet spot. 

She valued her elders and respected the, even when they were unreasonable.  I am grateful she drew the line when it came to naming me. Grandma Mabel was certain my name should be "Melvina", after my Uncle Melvin. Since my cousins Cheryl and Carol are not "Kennetha" or "Kenina" - I dodged the bullet. 

Today, her favorite gift is visitors. She loves to share a cup of coffee or tea... and some conversation. If you are in the neighborhood, stop by. She is happy with dandelions for flowers, as it was the choice of so many small children in her world for many years. For her, the first dandelion of the season was as precious as the first rose from the rose bushes. If you have lilacs on the bush... she would be thrilled. 

for behold, the winter is past;the rain is over and gone. The flowers appear on the earth, the time of singing has come, and the voice of the turtledove is heard in our land. -Song of Solomon 2:11-12

The best things in life are free... and they are even better when shared. Lilacs from the bush,  a cup of tea or coffee, the gift of another birthday and a mother's love. 

Today, I am grateful for lilacs and Mama's birthday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment