Sunday, April 30, 2017

God's Timing

Daily Gratitude Year 5- Day 120: Today, I am grateful for God's timing.

God's timing. It is something that my human mind struggles to accept in the present... in certain seasons. In retrospect, it is always clear. His clock is not a twenty four hour clock. He is not limited by the time and space he created. His longing is to have us choose him back and return to him in love. Our God has feelings, too. 

Have we ever been disappointed with God's timing in the rearview mirror? I doubt it. Every trial and struggle that we come though clinging to Him and growing into him, makes us stronger. Jesus said, "Come follow me." 

Jesus said to him, “If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.” -Matthew 19:21

Jesus invites, "Come, follow me." What is our response. "Sorry. Too busy. After I finish..." Ugh. This scripture was the Lord's response to a really, really good man of great wealth. A great guy doing good things for the kingdom.. He was keeping all the rules. Frankly, that alone is tough. But, that wasn't enough. He had the behaviors down... but the heart was out of sync.

Perhaps, to understand God's timing, I need to understand His heart. 

In Matthew 19:21 - Jesus says, "Come, follow me." I went to Biblegateway and then to Blue Letter Bible to dig into those three little words. I'm going to try to keep this short but it is so amazing. 

"Come" - this word in the original text has a sense of urgency. A calling of life giving or life losing ramifications. Deuro is the Greek. The same word used to call the rich man is the one used to record Jesus calling Lazarus back from the dead. Wow! Right? 

Now get this... I went one more step back to what the Hebrew equivalent would be in the Old Testament... and this left me almost speechless. Bow is the Hebrew word. Yes, I know what it means in English. In English it can mean to bow in reverence, humility or service or it can be a weapon used by taking aim with an arrow to hit a target of choice.  In Hebrew, it is pronounced like the weapon with a long "o". It is used in Genesis 6:20 when Noah called the creatures into the ark at God's command. It was a call to enter into life when death was eminent. It was a life saving "come". 

My Bible never ceases to take my breath away. It is full of history and mysteries to investigate. 

For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will hear you. You will seek me and find me, when you seek me with all your heart. -Jeremiah 29:11-13

I looked up the "come" in this verse and it is different. "Halak" is the Hebrew word for "come" as it is more related to a manner of behavior as to how we live and die. It asks the question, "Do we seek the blessing without seeking his heart?". 

When I started this post, I had no indication my verse of the day would fit into today's devotional. Well... it is His book, today is His Sabbath... and so, here is His word for the day. He wins again. Look and live.

Rather, speaking the truth in love, we are to grow up in every way into him who is the head, into Christ, Ephesians 4:15

We are instructed clearly to grow up in every way and into him. Each day we try to become more in step with His ways. Let his timing be our timing. Our peace becomes tangible and patience grows. Not just follow his commands, but to become so one with him that our heartbeat matches his. No one can tell the difference. 

I've heard the stories of doctors in the days before sonograms missing identical twins because their sweet heartbeats were in sync... in perfect timing... together. Another way nature sings his praise and reflects his glory.  

His ways are wondrous and wonderful.  His grace is still at work in my days and yours. We can press on. His timing is good enough. In fact, it is perfect. 

Today, I am grateful for God's timing... even when I don't understand it. 



No comments:

Post a Comment