Monday, May 1, 2017

The Crumbs

Daily Gratitude Year 5- Day 121: Today, I am grateful for the crumbs.


Yesterday, it struck me that too many times in my life I am ungrateful for the crumbs. In fact, I might even complain or sweep them away carelessly. In nearly four and a half years, not once have they come to my attention as a source of gratitude. Shame on me!
Image result for muffin crumbs
We love a good dustbuster/cordless vacuum. I've used one instead of a dust pan for as long as I can remember. It gets under the tight spots and helps finish the job when cleaning up my hardwood floors. It can tidy the carpeted steps in a jiffy. 

Randy was kind of particular about which one the kids would have in their new home. He enjoyed the hunt and buy. Comparing debating and making a final choice. A practical gift but one that will be used often. 

As I was finishing the card... it dawned on me that I have never expressed gratitude for the crumbs! 

Crumbs are the leftovers. Still, each one speaks a truth.

Crumbs on the floor mean there is abundance in the house. Hungry people don't have crumbs. Every morsel is eaten. 

Crumbs on the carpet left by children, family and friends are a reminder that people have gathered, shared and cared in our home. If our house is full, so is our hearts. 

Crumbs of time, right now... sometimes it feels like that is all there is time for on top of work and things that need to get done. Still, even a few minutes in Kroger, at the end of a church service, in the hallway at work, on the phone with a loved one or by texting... a crumb of a moment is plenty of time to say "I love you" and to express that someone matters in my world. 

Crumbs can be the little bit of goodness at the bottom of the bowl. Just enough to be reminded of something good. 

Crumbs. Evidence of abundance... or a little something to get us by until there is more. How can I not be grateful for the crumbs? Sweeping them up is a perfect chance to say, "Thank you, Lord, for the enough... the abundance... and the leftovers."

Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need.  I can do all things through him who strengthens me.-Philippians 4:11-13

Today, I am grateful for the crumbs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment