Thursday, May 25, 2017

More Than Enough



Daily Gratitude Year 5-Day 145: Today, I am grateful His grace is always more than enough.

Sometimes... I am frustrated by human limitations. I make mistakes. I get tired. My body has some things that are broken. When juggling many tasks, I sometimes drop a ball, and it rolls away unnoticed... until I need it and can't find it. 

I don't know why two socks go into the dryer and one sock comes out. The twenty-four hour day seems impractically short for all that needs to be accomplished by human hands as the day is envisioned in my human mind.

My high school and lifetime friend, Kristin, once shared this thought a long time ago. I have kept it close to my heart for the great wisdom. It is from J. Vernon McGee:

"This is God's universe, and God does things his way. You may have a better waybut you don't have a universe." --J. Vernon McGee

Whoa!  Hold your horses. Again, I am reminded that I am not the center of the universe. Babies think they are... but they learn and grow. They mature and and learn to reason. 

The world today is constantly teaching and preaching "do what feels good" or "do what makes you happy". What happened to "Do the right thing, even if no one is watching." Character still counts. The funny thing is that most who chase the self-serving and self-elevating life find everything but happiness and peace. You can read about their trials in the gossip magazines. 

Just because something is accepted or popular doesn't make it okay or right. When in doubt, use the "litmus test" Jesus gave us to determine a path or a behavior:
"Does this choice help us seek, love and get to know the Lord with all of our heart?"
"Does this choice help us love our neighbors... all of them?"
This test never fails to help direct our paths, because it acknowledges Him in all way. 

We were created to know this God of the Universe. None of us are "only children" when we call him Father. Unlike Burger King... his slogan is not "Have it your way." His promise is that "In my way, all things work out for your good... but the story isn't over. Not my story... and not yours. Each season is a chapter, and his "Big Story" is still unfolding. 

Each day, I am tempted to review all of my shortcomings and things I didn't get done. I want to conquer the workload,  and win! Get real... I'd be content to have all the laundry done and the house clean at the same time. 

In truth, His call on our hearts is to seek Him, serve Him, serve others and love with open hearts. He will not be collecting my checked off "To Do" lists at the end of my life. He will ask me, "What did you do with what I gave you?" 

His expectation is that we live together in grace and in harmony. The best part of "harmony" is that that we sing different parts. United but unique, too. Perfectly blended. He wants us to embrace our part and find joy in it. We don't need a solo part to find the joy of being in the choir. 

Perhaps, imperfection is part of his gift. One of my favorite scriptures is 1 Corinthians 12:9. 

"Each time he said, “My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness.” So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me." -1 Corinthians 12:9

Like Paul, I have an infirmity that God has only partially healed. I am reminded of it daily. There has been partial healing, and for that I am forever grateful.  I know that he is capable of a full healing, but I think that it keeps me humbled to have to rely on his strength and his grace. Perhaps, perfectly broken is better. It keeps me reliant on His grace and strength. 

He is our enough!

Today, I am grateful His grace is always enough... it's more than enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment