Friday, May 19, 2017

Wait, My Daughter



Daily Gratitude Year 5-Day 139: Today, I am grateful for reminders to wait. 

How much does impatience lead to stress and distress? Some of the greatest lessons we learn come in the "hallways" of life as we wait for doors to open... and close. 

The waiting place is often where were learn to develop a prayer life. It is in prayer that God becomes more known as he reveals himself in glimpses... and in bold acts. He develops our hearts so that we are ready when he moves us to the next place. 

Firstborn... I like to be in charge. I like to know what is coming or expected so that I can plan for the best and avoid the worst. Guess what? The best laid plans can fail. The most diligent preparations can still have surprises... good things and the trials. 

Knowing He is really in control... that is comfort. 
Knowing He holds the universe... that is power.
Knowing He holds my hand...that is love. 

When we learn to seek him with our whole hearts, holding nothing back... only then can we begin to feel a closeness that is intimate and personal. 

She Reads Truth created this image. I ran right to the scripture to test it out. Sure enough... it was there:


“Wait, my daughter, until you learn how the matter turns out," -Ruth 3:18

It is a conversation between Ruth and her Mother-in-law. Both are widows. Ruth was young, and in truth... Naomi was probably not that old. Illness had taken Naomi's husband and both her sons. One daughter-in-law returned to her Moabite family. Ruth would not. She married... taking her husband's God and family as her own. She stood by her grieving mother-in-law, caring for her... even in their own deep grief. 

Have you ever intentionally loved someone who is a total mess? It is not that easy. Have you ever been loved when you are a total mess? I have, and it is life changing. Somewhere... in the hallway of Naomi's deep depression... she prayed through and pressed on. Ruth's faithfulness encouraged her heart. In Ruth chapter 3, it is Naomi who offers excellent instruction. 

“Wait, my daughter, until you learn how the matter turns out," 

Wait... don't rush God's timing.
My Daughter... she defines their relationship... daughter-in-love.
Until... isn't right now.
You learn... or you don't.
How... God will move and direct.
The Matter... your trouble matters to Him.
Turns... are a change of direction.
Out... internal struggles before God acts out His plan. 

Learning to wait patiently is rough sometimes. I don't like it. But, when I do wait upon the Lord with heart wide open to his will and his way... there is calm and peace. 

Lessons for me this week (8 days from a wedding)... 

1: I never want to be the Mother-in-law that burdens my daughters-in-love. I've waited 26 years to bring a girl to the family table for keeps. I pray for wisdom to love her well and to be a good example. 

2: The baby girl you loved at church... the one you held before your own son was born... just might turn out to be your daughter-in-law.

3: The wait is often part of the plan. A growing place. A prayerful place. 

4: His plan is always better than I could have imagined. 

Today, I am grateful for reminders to wait until I learn how the matter turns out. 




No comments:

Post a Comment