Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Mothers and Daughter

Images used by permission by Epic Vision Portraits.
Daily Gratitude Year 5-Day 214: Today, I am grateful for a daughter and the mother (and father) who raised her.

I almost felt like sending out pink announcements with cute little heels and pearls instead of baby boots when Chase got engaged. The Smiths were getting a girl! 

Now, anyone who knows me know that I have loved and embraced being a boy mom. In fact, I am sure God made just the right choice for our home. Still, as the years flew by, the anticipation grew for the time Randy and I would be granted a girl... a daughter. 

Little did I know... I would hold her before my own son, as she is an older woman by one month. Little did I know that she would be raised by the best of parents in a household of strong faith and enduring love. Little did I know, she would bring him more grandparents than he has ever known ... and one of them he already called Papa Herb and loved. Little did I know, she would slip right into our family, look like my nieces and fit right in everywhere she went. How beautiful is it to leave things to God's timing. What's 26 years, right?

We adore her parents and am grateful for all they did to shape and mold this beautiful daughter we now share. They taught and guided her ... giving her space to figure things out for herself. She is a thinker... a learner... a stargazer... a scientist... a quick wit...and a perfect match to compliment our son. They are two peas in a pod. They fit. 

I am grateful for the other mother and father... and that the sharing that began when she was 24 hours old will be for a lifetime. 

This scripture is taken from a passage about a celebration and feast thrown by King Solomon giving thanks to God for his goodness. The temple built and the Ark of the Covenant where it belongs. Item's dedicated by his Dad, King David, were also returned. So much to celebrate. I love this little snippet of gratitude and celebration after a long wait:

"they blessed the king and went to their homes joyful and glad of heart for all the goodness that the Lord had shown" -1 Kings 8:66 

To be joyful and glad of heart. To share love... hope and a future. That is the joy that comes with the arrival of a daughter or son. Whenever and however they come to us by God's design. 

My cup is full and overflowing. (Yes... there may be many wedding pictures this week.) Thanks for sharing Emma. 

Today, I am grateful for a daughter and the mother (and father) who raised her.




No comments:

Post a Comment