Saturday, August 19, 2017

My Thoughts Aren't Audible

Daily Gratitude Year 5-Day 230: Today, I am grateful all my thoughts aren't audible. 

This image from "Sweatpants And Coffee" made me smile.


"Just sipping my coffee and giving thanks my thoughts aren't audible."  Can I get an "Amen!". 


Our thoughts are our secret place... where we can have conversations with the Holy Spirit and he will urge us toward what is good and loving and kind, To be honest... sometimes it is more of a battle than a friendly chat. 


Oh yes, I know from the thoughts that still float around in my head that I am still a work in progress. Far from finished, but at least He hasn't given up. The promise is that he won't. 


We are urged to control our tongues.  


Indeed, we all make many mistakes. For if we could control our tongues, we would be perfect and could also control ourselves in every other way. James 3:2

We all fail at tongue control. Prayers for wisdom and knowledge of The Word help when faced with the choice of controlling the tongue or letting it lash out with free reign. Free reigning tongues, almost always taste remorse. Controlled tongues can encourage, strengthen hearts and inspire. 

When anger and frustration surface, I rarely regret the times I bite my tongue. I can't sat the same for the times I let it loose. 

Lord, you have examined my heart and know everything about me.
You know when I sit down or stand up. You know my thoughts even when I’m far away. 
 You see me when I travel and when I rest at home.
    You know everything I do. 
  You know what I am going to say
    even before I say it, Lord. 
You go before me and follow me.
    You place your hand of blessing on my head. 
 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too great for me to understand! -Psalm 139:1-6


He doesn't just "get me", he knows me. Better yet, "  You place your hand of blessing on my head." He wants to help direct our thoughts, so we can see with his eyes and act in a way that chases his heart. 

There was a romantic comedy with Mel Gibson and Helen Hunt movie called "What Women Want"(2000). Nick Marshall, a somewhat chauvinistic advertising exec hot shot, has his life turned haywire when a fluke accident enables him to hear what women think. Darcy McGuire is his competition at work, his new boss and to his shock and surprise... his love interest. He is shocked by what women around him think of his arrogance and testosterone driven ways. Hearing the real thoughts of those around him made him kinder and more sensitive. A fun flick. 

How often would I cringe at others thoughts about my behaviors or unleashed tongue? Yikes. Not something I want to consider, but I should. 

We all see the world through our individual eyes and experiences. We often have no idea what trials others may be facing. The ones facing the tallest mountains may be the ones who never speak of it. They just press on one day at a time... helping others along the way. 

One prayer... squeezed from the lessons taught by Max Lucado in "He Chose the Nails". 

"Thank God, I don't get what I deserve." -amen

Perhaps, I need to preface that prayer with:

 "Thank you Lord for loving me, even when my tongue gets loose. Thank you for whispers of grace that help me hold back from speaking everything on my mind. Thank you for forgiving me when my words disappoint you and wound others. Thank you that others cannot hear all that I am thinking. Thank you Lord for taking my nails, so that I don't get what I deserve." -amen

His need for justice satisfied. Love, mercy and grace are our covering.

Each one of us is a work in progress when we submit to the Master Potter's hand.

Today, I am grateful all my thoughts aren't audible. 




No comments:

Post a Comment