Sunday, July 17, 2016

Lesson From the Olive Trees


Year 4-Day 194: Today, I am grateful for a lesson in Psalm 52 from the green olive trees.


The images are from my Bible. Last week, I found an olive tree photo that caught my eye. Nature sings the power of God. I had to draw it.
The olive tree that is cared for well can live long and be fruitful. It must be well tended. Weeds will steal the nutrition that the olive tree needs to thrive and survive. The one who tends the olive grove must clear the weeds.
The shoots break forth in surprising ways from the gnarly trunk. It is... to my eyes... fascinating. So different from our trees in the American Midwest. New shoots continue sprout even in old age and the older trees bear more fruit. But it requires care and attention.
Life is like that. The directions we grow can be unpredictable. In those times of surprise, we learn to adapt, adjust and trust. We are the olive trees in God's grove. Precious like children.
"I am like an olive tree in the house of God. I trust in the steadfast love of God forever and ever. I will thank you forever, because you have done it. I will wait for your name, for it is good, in the presence of the godly." -Psalm 52:8-9
The fruit of the olive tree can be delicious, but it is the oil it gives when pressed down and poured out that makes it so valuable. Olive oil is considered one of the healthy oils (imagine that ðŸ˜‰). It had so many life enriching uses.
Yes, to be pressed down and poured out can painful in the process, but the results are rich.
"I will wait....for it is good." I hate waiting. His steadfast love endures... even in my impatience.
Earworm just woke up. He is singing John Waller's "While I'm Waiting" "I will serve you, while I'm waiting. I will worship while I'm waiting. I will wait for you." Great choice.
Today, I am grateful for a lesson from an olive tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment