Friday, July 22, 2016

These Present Problems

Daily Gratitude Year 4- Day 203: Today, I am grateful when the problem is not the problem.

"The problem is not the problem; the problem is your attitude about the problem."  - Captain Jack Sparrow

Wisdom from Captain Jack Sparrow as only Johnny Depp can deliver.  Captain Jack never let the fact he was without a ship demote him. He looked in the mirror and always saw a captain.  Attitude can make or break us. It can sink the ship or keep it afloat when water is coming in faster than we can scoop it out. 

If you think you are sinking...you are. Ever have seasons you are bailing water and trying to stay afloat? Don't we all?  

Back to the lesson from Elizabeth Elliot.  "Do the next thing. Do the thing in front of you." As my sweet friend Peggy and I used to say when we were in the middle of a big volunteer project..."Just keep swimming."  Now we borrowed that from Finding Nemo that was popular at the time, but the mantra got us through some days of wondering how the project would come together.  Some days, you just do what you can and add what is left to a list another day.  I am learning it is okay to be "in process". 

I like to conquer a task. Complete it. Check it off. Celebrate the accomplishment. The proverb- "Don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today." sounds great. Right? But, even if I do ALL the laundry today...there is more by bedtime. The mopped floor gets dirty again. The toilet paper roll empties. Life is just so daily! 

"Danger...Will Robinson...danger!" - Robot, Lost in Space

Dangerous thoughts. The "I can't win" attitude steals our captain's hat and sinks a struggling ship. What if I respond with:
I still have a ship.

I still have a washer and dryer.
I still have clothes...clean and dirty.

I still have detergent. 
I still have a mop.
I still have a bucket!

Quite frankly... my problems are often far more related to my attitude than my actual circumstance. Some days, when sitting in what feels like a sinking ship, it never dawns on my that I know how to swim! And...the time I spent bailing water got me closer to shore. And, the swim to shore burns calories! 

We are all works in progress. We all have jobs, goals and assignments for this day. The best thing we can do is make our own lists...but then let God direct our days and our ways.  How many times to I miss the "God appointment" because my list is too, too busy? 

"I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship.Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect." -Romans 12:1-2

I am so far from perfect! Still, we are offered this encouraging word:

"Not that I have already obtained this or am already perfect, but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own."  -Phillipians 3:12

Press on!  Toward the goal.  With an attitude of gratitude and a contentment with the things in front of us getting done. One thing at a time.  Let Him handle the big picture. He's got this. 

Today, I am grateful when the problem is not the problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment