Tuesday, February 21, 2017

A Little Dose of Crazy



Daily Gratitude Year 5-Day 52: Today, I am grateful for a little dose of crazy.

I love this little snippet from Alice in Wonderland. 

"Have I gone mad?"

"I'm afraid so, you're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret... all the best people are." -Lewis Carroll

My favorite doctor... Dr. Seuss... asked this life changing question:

"Why fit in when you were born to stand out?"

It is the that little touch of inspiration, passion and drive that the world views as crazy that leads to amazing. 

"It's good to be weird." is what my sweet friend Kelly Cawthon Berry taught me in high school. I wrote that quote with her name on it on a favorite LA folder. 

I've been reading Bob Goff's "Love Does". The guy is nuts! In the best possible way. Who camps out on the College Dean's bench campaigning for law school admission so he can make a difference in the world... after not passing the LSAT... begging to get in? Bob does. I think the dean figured he'd flunk out faster than he would give up his "sit in" spot on the bench outside of his office. After several days...the dean let him in... and Bob did not flunk out of law school. He even passed the California bar exam. The lesson was that sometimes God doesn't close doors and open windows, sometimes he wants us to build or passion... our dose of crazy... for something more than what we initially see in the mirror. 

We see shortcomings and inadequacy... God sees places we will call on him for help. He created us with the ability to chose and do things on our own. His purpose in creating us was the hope that we would seek a relationship with him in spite of our amazing powers. Capable on our own. Better together. 

There is this amazing song by Matthew West. I am pretty sure he has found his lyrical spot calling writing songs that speak God's hope and truth to the broken. "Mended" is great example. Here are some of the lyrics:

I see my child, my beloved
The new creation you're becoming
You see the scars from when you fell
But I see the stories they will tell

You see worthless, I see priceless
You see pain, but I see a purpose
You see unworthy, undeserving
But I see you through eyes of mercy

When you see broken beyond repair
I see healing beyond belief
You're not too far gone
You're one step away from home

When you see nothing but damaged goods
I see something good in the making
I'm not finished yet, no
When you see wounded, I see mended


You see wounded, I see mended. Don't you love it! 

Watch it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Otg-5p7qug  

Okay, so perhaps it seems like that is God's dose of crazy. We are made in his image, right? His love never gives up on us. He simply wants us to love him back and trust his heart... and that "little thing" about going and loving your neighbor which is really the first step in fulfilling "The Great Commission". 

What feeds your dose of crazy today? Crazy love will change the world. It already has. More than 2000 years ago God refused to give up and made a way. That dose of stubborn isn't a uniquely human... we received it as part of being created "in His image". 

God acting outside of the science rules He created... that is a miracle.
Love that rescues souls... a love so deep it changes lives... that is a miracle.
A God who would step out of heaven to be our rescuer... a dose of madness!
He is mad about us. 
That crazy love brings me to my knees. 

Today, I am grateful for a little dose of crazy.







No comments:

Post a Comment