Thursday, March 28, 2024

The Last Supper

 

Daily Gratitude Year 12 - Day 88: Today, I am grateful for "The Last Supper."

Years ago, I attended a dramatic presentation called "The Living Last Supper" at the Manteno Church of the Nazarene... if my memory serves me correctly. It was an awesome experience. 13 men stood frozen in place in the position of the famous painting on the stage until it was their turn to "come to life" to offer their perspective on that night. Powerful is an understatement. 

It was Passover. The celebration of the night the death angel passed by the houses marked with the blood of the lamb... at the head of the door and on each side. It created a triangle, in the same way the blood marked the cross Jesus died on when he became The Lamb. The timing was no accident. "When it was time" is full of mystery, moments, and miracles. 

On Maundy Thursday... he had washed their feet, broke the bread and shared the wine and completely confused them all. Except, Judas. Judas knew a little more because of his betrayal. 

"For, There is one God and one Mediator who can reconcile God and humanity—the man Christ Jesus. He gave his life to purchase freedom for everyone. This is the message God gave to the world at just the right time. -1 Timothy 2:5-6 (NLT)

The time was right. Psalm 22, written by King David centuries before, reads like an account of the crucifixion. Here are verses 15-18:

"My strength has dried up like sunbaked clay.
    My tongue sticks to the roof of my mouth.
    You have laid me in the dust and left me for dead.
 My enemies surround me like a pack of dogs;
    an evil gang closes in on me.
    They have pierced my hands and feet.
 I can count all my bones.
    My enemies stare at me and gloat.
They divide my garments among themselves
    and throw dice for my clothing."

Despite his floggings and beatings, they could count all of his bones and not one was broken. They gambled for his clothing. They pierced his hands and feet. His enemies gloat. It all points to Jesus... to Yeshua. He was, is, and will always be the perfect Passover lamb. 

Ray Boltz wrote a song many years ago that sticks in my head when I think of my hand in his crucifixion. Yes, mine... and yours. "Does he still feel the nails? Every time I fail, does He hear the crowd cry, "Crucify!", again?" Am I causing him pain? Then I know I've got to change, 'cause I just can't stand the thought of hurting Him." 

The magnitude of his choice is hard to fathom. He took every step with intention. From the foot washing bowl, to the Passover feast, and then to The Garden of Gethsemane. He knew what was ahead. He prayed for the "cup to pass," but accepted "Thy will be done." 

From the dinner table to the pits of Hell... in just a few days. He did it all for us. 

Today, I am grateful for "The Last Supper."


No comments:

Post a Comment