Monday, January 30, 2017

Highlighters



Daily Gratitude Year 5-Day 30: Today, I am grateful highlighters.

Another item I have overlooked for a gratitude post. It should be on the once a year list. The humble highlighter is an essential tool in my tool box for daily living... and it gives me joy.

What do I use them for? Everything. Doodles and drawings. Writing passes. Highlighting items I need to stand out on my list of "to-do's". Grocery lists come to life and if I highlight the thing I actually need, I might have a chance at getting it in the grocery cart.

The colors catch my attention and add visual appeal to the most mundane things. Chubby, medium and skinny nubs all have unique uses. Each one has a place and a purpose in the Highlighter family. 

For those who color code verses in their Bibles, they are a learning tool.
Some use them for faith journaling and image work. 

The sheer nature of a highlighter is unique in the world of writing tools. 
Some are fairly dry with do not bleed through even a thin page.
We can even prioritize a list by color.

Seriously, the humble highlighter is a good friend.


Someone actually gifted me with a set of Sharpie highlighters. What a great gift. Practical and happy, all at the same time. 

My love of highlighters began in my teens when I started marking in my Bible the verses that would speak. I had no real plan... whatever color seemed right for the day. Honestly, I kind of get how God feels about us when I look at my highlighters (or my children)... each one is my favorite. Truly. 

The great thing about a highlighter is always one nearby... ready to assist with any job. Not fancy. Simply dependable... but never boring. 

"Certain things catch your eye, pursue only those that capture your heart." - American Indian Proverb

As we look at the world around us, there is trouble. There is so much need. Hurting families, wounded children, hunger, poverty, modern slavery and above all else, man's inhumanity toward man. It is overwhelming. It breaks our Father's heart. He calls us to love him through action, but we don't know where to begin.

What captures your heart? Start there. 

Make a "war binder" for prayer and an action plan. (Or start with a big Post-it note.) Grab the highlighters and get to work. Ask God to reveal a place you can be his hands and feet on this day... in this week. 

Ask him to bring to your attention someone who is feeling weak and defeated. It might surprise you who he "highlights" and places on your heart... pray for them anyway. We don't know the struggles of those around us. 

with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love, - Ephesians 4:2

There is no sweeter gift than to have another human "bear with us in love". 

Good morning Earworm! "As Long As We've Got Each Other" by  BJ Thomas and Jennifer Warnes is his song choice this morning. Remember the theme song to "Growing Pains"? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHYMM3zjffo

What a great way to start a new week. With a mission and a highlighter. 

Today, I am grateful highlighters.






No comments:

Post a Comment