Thursday, January 26, 2017

Magic Wand

Daily Gratitude Year 5-Day 26: Today, I am grateful for my magic wand.

I have a magic wand that sits on my desk in the pencil holder. It has been there since my first day on the job. 

Changing jobs was not easy. It was time. God knew what the years ahead would hold. I did not. He knew that I could not help carry the grief of others with my own family and closest friends about to enter the valley of the shadow of death and pitch a tent for a few years. 

I prayed a bold prayer. He gave a bold answer. My magic wand is a reminder.

When you have worked anywhere for 20 years, change isn't easy. Relationships are long and deep. A work family is where you spend 30-40 hours a week. The families we cared for became another "family", extended and part of the same family tree. 

Sometimes, I am still in awe that God granted me that career opportunity. The pediatric oncology world is every parent's worst nightmare. It was our job... as a team... to walk with them through the storm. No "magic wand" wand provided, but hope floats and healing comes in different ways. A large part of my job was to listen. People have different needs, even when facing similar struggles. In the middle of medicine, miracles and heartbreak... you learn a great deal about living. 

Dreams matter. Wishest that come true make memories. The goodness in people can be overwhelming. Tired of the news and social media... head to St. Jude or Make-a-Wish websites and be reminded of the kindness and generosity in our world that changes lives. One brings hope, healing, comfort and companionship and the other the gift of a memory.  


Several Mom's gathered to give me the sweetest surprise of a shared meal and a ridiculously fun and full gift basket of all the things I would need to transition into my new life as a Jr. High Secretary. We laughed that years in social services were good preparation. This magic wand was a favorite.  They all knew my love of things that sparkle. Most of them had heard me say, "I wish I had a magic wand to make this go away, but I don't." Perhaps that inspired the purchase. I never asked the girls. 

My magic wand represents so much. Hope. Life. Dreams. Sorrows shared. Forgiveness. Wishes. Most of all, love. 

I will loan it out, but I cannot make it a gift. It is one of those really special, priceless items in my life's backpack. It reminds me of the power of love during any plot twist in our journey. 

Love changes everything... even when a magic wand really has no power. 

So now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love -1 Corinthians 13:13

Today, I am grateful for my magic wand.

No comments:

Post a Comment