Tuesday, January 10, 2017

"Little Things"


Daily Gratitude Year 5-Day 10: Today, I am grateful for the "little things". 
Someone once said that "We should give thanks for the little things, because in the end, we discover they were the big things." 
This image nails some of my favorites. 
1. Waking up to discover it's not time to get up (happened today).
2. Hot drinks on cold days. Coffee, tea, cider, wassail or cocoa, anyone?
3. Laughing until your side hurts... and you can't stop.
4. Snuggling in a soft, warm blanket.
5. Warm,freshly baked cookies with the scent filling the house. 
The "little things" are a slice of sweetness that helps us press on when days get long, tough or tiresome. Some days, it is the simplest of things that help us carry on when we might otherwise quit. 
The simple things add a richness. Our act of thanksgiving is an offering.  
Gracious is the Lord, and righteous; our God  is merciful.The Lord preserves the simple; when I was brought low, he saved me. Return, O my soul, to your rest; for the Lord has dealt bountifully with you. I will offer to you the sacrifice of thanksgiving and call on the name of the Lord-Psalm 116:5-7,17
The Lord preserves the simple. That made me pause. Simple. It can me a fool, but it can also mean without the advantage of education, power or with understanding of life's complexities. "The Lord preserves the simple..." 
"The simple" amongst are often a part of "the least of these". They are societies most vulnerable... then and now. Those who are "simple" are easily influenced and led. Those desperate for a friend, longing to fit in or unequipped to reason things out for themselves. They end up as prey for those lacking a moral compass. 
The "simple" need a hand of protection, but on the other side of the coin, they have much to teach us. So often, they express huge joy and delight over the smallest victories. Can't we learn from their example?  
With my one little word for the year being "enough", I am already learning that abundance can result in an unintentional lack of gratitude. We can offer a sacrifice of praise and thanksgiving and know that Lord hears our prayers. 
I think we must train and learn to be grateful in the little things before we find a fullness in gratitude for the big things. 
Today, I am grateful for the "little things". 








No comments:

Post a Comment