Sunday, January 22, 2023

A Knock and an Answer


Daily Gratitude Year Eleven- Day 22: Today, I am grateful for a knock and an answer.

There are times I am not "ready" to answer the door for deliveries or anyone else. Especially on a Saturday. I treasure the "stay home and go nowhere" mornings. They are rare.  Days designated for a good cleaning mean I am not "company ready" in my attire, hair,  or face. Knock at your own risk. Some things cannot be unseen. 

Mama Ina Mae was kind of a stickler about appearances when I was young. She never went to town without freshening  up, blush, lipstick, mascara, and hair combed. She always taught us that how you presented yourself to the world mattered.  She taught us to smile. It wasn't really vanity... Mama never considered herself beautiful. (I would beg to differ.) She was radiant from the inside out. 

Of course, Mama never knew who and how many were coming to dinner. Dad would invite anyone in the yard at meal time to join us at the table.  Mama's welcome was always warm and sincere. There was always plenty.  The door was always open. We simply set another spot at the big farm table.

This scripture struck me today: 

“Keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you.  For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened." -Matthew 7:7-8 

"Keep on asking. Keep on seeking. Keep on knocking." 

The instruction demands some action. Keep on keeping on. How easy it is to become lazy in our pursuit of His purpose. I know I am easily distracted and find rabbit holes. This scripture does not tell us to wait for an invitation. It calls us to be intentional in seeking His Will and His Way. 

When we knock He answers; when He knocks, he knows he will not find the house in perfect condition. He comes to rescue and restore. It is His specialty. 

Today, I am grateful for a knock and an answer.


No comments:

Post a Comment