Monday, January 30, 2023

The Humble and The Gentle Ones

Daily Gratitude Year Eleven- Day 30: Today, I am grateful for the humble and gentle ones. 

Children can have such tender hearts. I love watching them interact with each other when they do not realize you are watching. They often imitate gentleness and humility, putting others' needs before their own, especially if one is hurting or wounded. 

Another place you can witness humble and gentle interactions is in a special education classroom where the students struggle with many of the tasks the rest of us take for granted. They have deep wells of compassion towards their classmates and the people around them. The rest of the world could learn a great deal from their example. 

My first years at the Jr. High there was a young man who had fought big battles just to walk and talk. If someone fell, he was the first one to help them up. His manners were impeccable. Kindness and patience oozed out of him. 

One day, I needed to make a quick trip home on my lunch break.  As I headed toward the door I heard, "Mrs. Smith...Mrs. Smith, where are you going?" I told him I had to make a quick trip home and I would be right back. "Mrs. Smith, it's cold outside." I assured him I would be fine. "No, Mrs. Smith, you need a jacket. It's cold. You can wear mine." 

His locker was right outside the office door and there was no way I was leaving the building without wearing his coat. I graciously put on that Cardinal's Baseball jacket. The young man knew I was a Cubs fan, but he didn't even tease me about wearing a Cardinal's jacket. His entire concern was for my health and well-being. He was so happy to give me what I needed. 

We could all learn something from that young man. Anyone who knows him for more than ten minutes learns that his abilities far outweigh his limitations.  He took a piece of my heart when he went off to high school. 

"Always be humble and gentle. Be patient with each other, making allowance for each other’s faults because of your love." -Ephesians 4:2

Making allowances for each other is a special kind of love. We are all a little bit quirky, needy or broken at times. The world needs more humble servants like Jordan. 

Today, I am grateful for the humble and gentle ones. 




No comments:

Post a Comment