Tuesday, January 10, 2023

The Centurion

 

Daily Gratitude Year Eleven- Day 10: Today, I am grateful for the humble Centurion.

I love words and stories. We learn so much about people from hearing how they lived,  loved, worshiped, worked and died. 

Over the holiday, I spent some time exploring family history on my Mama's Bess side of the family. I learned some stories of my great grandparents (many greats) and great aunts and uncles. To get a glimpse into the lives they lived is fascinating to me. 

I learned my ancestors were soldiers in the Revolution and the women were courageous, too.  I am sure some of their stories will show up in this year's gratitude journey. 

My Bible reading today was Matthew 8. Matthew 8:5-13 records a conversation between Jesus and a Centurion soldier. This is in my top five miracles of Jesus and it might be in the top two or three. Why? Because it clearly illuminates Jesus's heart for all who have the courage to call him Lord. 

The Gospel of Luke captures the same encounter in chapter 7. If something is repeated in more than one Gospel, I think we need to pay extra attention. 

In this recorded interaction, "Centurion" meaning the Roman soldier was in charge of 100 men. He held status. He knew what it was to command. He knew what it meant to carry out orders, too. He believed in  Jesus and Jesus was amazed by his faith. It is the only time that Greek word is use (in both the Matthew and Luke records) that means amazed or marveled at. (Strong's  G2296 (thaumazō))

"When Jesus heard this, he marveled and said to those who followed him, “Truly, I tell you, with no one in Israel have I found such faith." Matthew 8:10

"When Jesus heard these things, he marveled at him, and turning to the crowd that followed him, said, “I tell you, not even in Israel have I found such faith.” Luke 7:9

The only other time the Bible says Jesus marveled... it was at the unbelief  of the people in Nazareth, his hometown. 

"And he marveled because of their unbelief. And he went about among the villages teaching." Mark 6:6

I want to be like the Centurion. I want to marvel at the wonders of Jesus and his love that embraced the soldier and the gentile. 

Today, I am grateful for the humble Centurion.



No comments:

Post a Comment