Tuesday, November 15, 2022

Open Eyes

 Daily Gratitude Year 10-Day 318: Today, I am grateful for open eyes. 

I love this picture of Mama in the last months of her life. She had a special visit from "Aunt Marilyn" Rosenboom. We called "Aunt Marilyn" and "Uncle Russ"  out of respect. We were together too much to be Mr. and Mrs.  - so we called them Aunt Marilyn and Uncle Russ. I still do. They will always be family. 

Open my eyes to see the wonderful truths in your instructions. --Psalm 119:18 

This scripture seemed perfect for today. Mama had her eyes opened a year ago to see her Lord and King. We sure do miss her, but would never call her back to suffering. 

Aunt Marilyn opened Mama's eyes to the responsibilities of being a farm wife. Aunt Marilyn did more of the business end than Mama, but Mama was the queen of the kitchen table. There was always room for one more at the table. There were meals to be served and souls to be fed. 

Mama loved to please people. She seemed to find the best in everyone she met. Some would say she viewed the world through "rose colored glasses".  I think she simply saw what Jesus saw. She saw broken things as fixable. She treated wounded people with tender words and hands. She's a tough act to follow.

Opening our eyes often means we need to open our hearts to be vulnerable. Life is messy. "It's complicated" became a popular phrase for relationships, but I suppose it is true. Still, when we take down our defenses and open our eyes, we can see with His eyes and find our purpose. 

Andy Stanley once shared this prayer - "Lord help me to see what you want me to see, and do what you want me to do."  Simple prayer. Tall order. 

Today, I am grateful for open eyes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment