Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Coruscate




Daily Gratitude Year 5-Day 67: Today, I am grateful a new word... coruscate.

Coruscate: 
(v)to emit vivid flashes of light; sparkle;  gleam.  (adjective form:coruscating)

How has there been a word for "sparkle" or "giving of vivid flashes of light" that has gone undiscovered in my vocabulary? Am I the only one who missed it? 

Remember vocabulary sentences? I love writing and words, but that was not my favorite homework. The science shows we have to actually use a new word multiple times to commit it to memory and make it a part of our word bank. Now that I have discovered coruscate...I will find a way to learn it and make it stick. It is a great word!  

Vocabulary sentence homework is not useless.

1.The meteor shower coruscating across the night sky was the perfect place for a stargazer's marriage proposal. 

2. The summer breeze danced with coruscating fireflies. 

3. The Lady Potters basketball team coruscated, not just with sweat, but with the reality of their third IHSA state championship title. 

And the fourth example... a little story from the farm. Think of it as a snapshot, so that you can almost see the camera flash coruscate:

Grandma's Angels

Light streaming through the kitchen window seemed to coruscate. I thought nothing of it, except to admire the beauty of the dancing light. Grandma Marge, in the later stages of Alzheimer's would pause, and whisper- "Do you see them?" 

 "See what Grandma?", I would ask.

 "Angels. Do you see the angels?"   I knew she did. and wished I could. That day, in Grandmas humble farm kitchen, a verse I had always liked took root. I grew in my heart and filled with meaning.

Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.  -Hebrews 13:2

I wished I could see the angels, too.  I knew they were there. She was closer to the veil between life and death and her trust and love took away the sting of any fear. She had entertained and fed many strangers in her home over the years. She always welcomed the possibility of angels, and in the twilight of her disease, the angels came to comfort and entertain her. They brought peace, hope, the light of recognition and a smile. 

Grandma's battle with Alzheimer's changed some things, but her heart for Jesus coruscated... giving us all glimpses of Christ... even in the battle against memory loss. 

 For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal. -2 Corinthians 4:17-18

I adore glitter and dancing light. Since that day in Grandma's kitchen, I have been pretty sure that angels sparkle. Maybe, they corsucate with something I have no human words to adequately describe. 


Your vocabulary lesson is over. Some are relieved. Others have a new word to use. 

Today, I am grateful a new word... coruscate... and angels in Grandma's kitchen.

1 comment: