Saturday, October 28, 2023

Soup Season

Daily Gratitude Year Eleven-Day 301- Today, I am grateful for soup season.

Oh, how I love soup season. We eat soup all year long, although I am a much bigger fan than the Love of my Life. Now, my little brother and I are kindred spirits. We both love good soup. 

Mama had some soups she liked to make. Dad always wanted turkey soup after Thanksgiving. I think ham and bean soup was one of my favorites. 

In our house, chili is always welcome. My sister-in-love, Billie, taught me to make Red Beans and Rice the year she and Bruce came for Thanksgiving from Mississippi. I think it might be the #1 choice in our house.  It does take some time to make... but it is worth it. 

Another personal favorite is "School Soup", from one of the "Chicken Soup for the Soul " books. It is a tomato based soup with hamburger and vegetables. It is hearty and thick. 

Honestly, it is the many varieties of soup to choose from that make it a favorite for me. Cream of Tomato and French Onion... how does a person choose? Soup somehow warms the body and the soul. 

I have always loved the children's book, "Stone Soup." It is a reminder that sharing makes us better. 

There is actually a "Hot Pot Night" storybook by Vincent Chen that Ryan and Anna shared with us. It is a favorite with Elias and Milo. It is much like the "Stone Soup" story, except it is the Hot Pot version. Remember the fondue pots of the 70's? Well, in a hot pot, the broth cooks the meat and vegetables. We are actually doing a family hot pot night very soon. 

Soups quite often resemble bowls of vegetables with broth and maybe a little meat. A humble meal with good company is better than a fancy meal with people who are difficult. 

"A bowl of vegetables with someone you love is better than steak with someone you hate." Proverbs 15:17

Feel free to share your favorite soup recipes here. 

Today, I am grateful for soup season.

No comments:

Post a Comment