Wednesday, April 12, 2023

Indoor Plumbing

Daily Gratitude Year Eleven- Day 101: Today, I am grateful for indoor plumbing. 

I know. A weird one, right. Some of my not too distant relatives remember life before indoor plumbing. 

When I was a little girl, we headed down to Lutesville, MO to visit my great-grandparents, Alva and Hulda Bess. The house they lived in had been upgraded to an indoor washroom, but we visited friends of theirs... people who had a dirt floor. It made an impression on me as a young child. 

My grandparents still had an outhouse that was used when needed. We traveled with cousins, aunts and uncles that trip. One bathroom meant many of us tried out the outhouse. Some of us were more curious than anything. 

It seemed so old fashioned. It seemed odd in many ways. Of course, many kids today would not know how to use their rotary phone. What is common now may seem strange in a few years. 

Inventions come and go. Some are more user friendly than others. To everything, there is a season. 

                                                                                                                                                             Today, I am grateful for indoor plumbing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment