Saturday, April 22, 2023

Matthew

Daily Gratitude Year Eleven- Day 111: Today, I am grateful for Matthew.

I love this picture (Matt, Mama and Walker Matthew) from Mama's last earthly birthday two years ago. Matt came down and we spent the day watching John Wayne Movies... "The Kentuckian" and "Hellfighters" were on the list. She was as tickled as she could be. 

Matthew was born the day after Mama's birthday, so he was always considered a "birthday present." He was, indeed, a gift. 

I practiced parenting on him, but he has forgiven me. He was my trial run for raising boys. I was finishing 1st grade when he was born. I graduated from High School before he made it to Jr. High. Despite the age differences, we have always been close.  

He taught me to drive a stick shift after Dad and I finished an afternoon of his yelling and my tears. Matthew said, "Come with me." In 15 minutes... and I am not kidding... I was driving a stick shift and headed off to college in a manual Plymouth Horizon. I was 17... he was eleven. The rest of the story, you have to ask Matt. His excellent teaching came in quite handy when an opportunity to drive another stick shift was placed before me. 

He puts family first and loves his Lord. He learned much from watching Grandpa, Dad, Uncle Larry and Uncle Mel. He loves to smell the fresh turned dirt in the spring and on a warm supper evening he might think he can hear the grain grow. He scents rain in the air. He is tough to beat in euchre if he is really trying but would rather enjoy the people around the table than win. He might have a stubborn streak that runs true in all of us. The Lindgren and Bess sides all have it... including me. 

I adore him. His hugs are the best. His stories always make me laugh. He chose the best of sisters for me to get to love when he brought Jennifer home for the first time. He loves our boys and we love his girls. 

Randy (the love of my life) and Jennifer (my sister in love) have discovered that we keep each other entertained when we vacation together. Is that a compliment? I am not sure, but we sure have a good time. 

I am so grateful God has granted us so many good years together as siblings. We have faced some tough stuff along the way and we always find strength in facing the giants together. We have shared some bittersweet moments and some unforgettable laughter, too. 

Life is better with brothers (the ones by birth and the ones by marriage). 

Today, I am grateful for Matthew.

No comments:

Post a Comment