Wednesday, April 26, 2023

Traveling Light

 

Daily Gratitude Year Eleven- Day 115: Today, I am grateful we can travel light!

I am terrible at traveling light. It does not come naturally to a "just in case" girl. It is something I desire to change, but being prepared is in my nature. I don't want to be caught off guard. 

"Traveling Light" is a book by Max Lucado that my dear friend, Linda Neuhauser, gave me when my sister died many years ago. It was a relatively new book at the time. Now, it is a classic on grief. The subtitle is "Releasing The Burden You Were Never Intended To Carry." That sums up the book. 

How many times do I try to carry the tough stuff by myself? Being American and a farmer's daughter, I sometimes forget to ask for help. Floundering is not how our Lord intends for us to walk through this life. First, He wants us to yoke ourselves to him. What is heavy for us, is easy and light for him. 

How many times is it my habit of "over-packing" that creates the heavy load? Traveling light means letting go of the extras and trusting in His provision.

One day, Jesus empowered the disciples and sent them out to heal the sick and cast out demons. He sent them out with nothing but the clothes on their backs and sandals. 

 “Take nothing for your journey,” he instructed them. “Don’t take a walking stick, a traveler’s bag, food, money, or even a change of clothes." -Luke 9:3 

Nothing else? Talk about traveling light! They learned to trust and obey. 

I am still in the "needs improvement" category, but I will keep trying. 

Today, I am grateful we can travel light!

No comments:

Post a Comment