Friday, June 24, 2016

A Sword & A Song

Daily Gratitude Year 4-Day 176: Today, I am grateful for a sword and a song. 

Ever feel like the day ahead is a battle waiting to be fought? The weight of the impending tasks, chores or daily requirements seem overwhelming. 


I have discovered some new courage rendering quotes and some great thoughts from Lisa Bevere, author of "Girls With Swords". This quote went so well with my verse of the day that I had to think about them both for a bit.  

Here is my morning verse: 


But the Lord is faithful. He will establish you and guard you against the evil one.-2 Thessalonians 3:3 

He is faithful.
He establishes you.( Not self promotion...but He establishes you)
He guards you (Take that Satan!)
He keeps the balance and tips it in your favor. 

This combined with "A sword is balanced like a tuning instrument. Sometimes, all it takes is a song to tip the battle in your favor." Lisa Bevere. 

Now...support and connect that with another passage from the Old Testament prophet Zechariah:

 Sing and rejoice, O daughter of Zion, for behold, I come and I will dwell in your midst, declares the Lord. -Zechariah 2:10

Look up sisters (and brothers)
Sing.
Rejoice.
He comes.
He dwells.
He declares. 

We cannot believe for even a minute that we are alone and unprotected. Yes, there are battles to be fought and we may suffer some wounds along the way.  still, we have no need to be shrinking violets. We are covered by his grace, equipped with His Word and promised a victory. Again and again...we are told, "Fear not"...but fear creeps in uninvited... diminishing our courage, our impact and our outcomes. 

Word play slips in and I hear His Word - that beautiful passage from Isaiah 40:31:

but they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint."

Do I remember to wait on the Lord? Do I let him balance my sword with His weight and His word...or do I go rogue in fear or in a frenzy?

It is easy to run to Him when I need a shelter and a hiding place. Waiting on the Lord... to provide proper guidance and balance is not as easy. It requires pausing to listen for His lead. 

Do I blame Him for my tongue...or my inability to trust His purpose at times? Do I jump into the fire blame Him if I get burned? 

When we "wait for the Lord"... He becomes our sword and our shield.  Our hearts begin to sing a different song. Our courage grows and our endurance build. We find peace in the valleys, in the shadows, in the storms and in the heat of battle. No matter the trial...we discover a sword and a song to get us through. Hope does float. He is faithful in the fire...in the storms...and in the quiet moments of rest. 

We can pick up our swords and sing! 

Earworm has taken a liking to Crowder's "Lift Your Head Weary Sinner (Chains)". He has me singing along. I have to look up lyrics. 

Lift your head weary sinner, the river's just ahead
Down the path of forgiveness, salvation's waiting there
You built a mighty fortress 10, 000 burdens high
Love is here to lift you up, here to lift you high

If you're lost and wandering
Come stumbling in like a prodigal child
See the walls start crumbling
Let the gates of glory open wide

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hDZ3aNTAR4

Today, I am grateful for a sword and a song. 







No comments:

Post a Comment